• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
    Many years ago I was told:
    1 shot - dead deer
    2 shots - probably dead deer
    3 shots - maybe dead deer
    4 shots - no deer
    This is close but not always... first time I was invited to a family friends ranch I had my ol trusty Winchester model 70 30-06 that I had killed several animals with and was very good at shooting it. The first morning a nice doe comes out and boom! She did the ol mule kick and walked 10 feet stood there and I waited for her to fall over.... nothing so I loaded round 2 boom nothing,3 boom nothing, at this point I was very frustrated but determined. So I loaded round 4 yes 4 and boom! Yup you guessed it another miss. I said “F” it this Gun must’ve got knocked off. She walked off then came back, almost taunting me so loaded round 5 BOOM miss’s again! The land owner calls me wanting to know how many deer I’ve killed and I had to tell him over a radio 0. So I gave up hope for about 5 minutes and she stayed so i loaded up at this point shot 6 or 7 don’t remember and settled the crosshairs on her neck squeezed off and she drops dead!

Sometimes stuff happens lol most embarrassing hunting of my life. By the way the scope was fine the Gun patterned perfectly after the hunt it was the “bullets”. Haven’t missed with a rifle since then.

Comment

Lol this cracks me up.
      My wife , her brother, and I are all out hunting last evening. All in different stands. I hear boom, then 20!seconds later another boom, etc, until there’s been five booms. Brother in law texts “how many of em did you get” lol. She texting like crazy I can’t believe I missed and he’s still here lol. Why isn’t he running away? Brother in law texts “he must have figured out you’re a lousy shot”. By now I’m laughing in the stand.

Things were pretty quiet at home last night. I resighted her gun this morning. Hahaha

Comment

She had “only” had five rounds with her.

Comment

Reminds me of something from 25 years ago. One time I shot a deer and it was DRT. My stepfather comes walking up and says "did you get a deer?". Being the smart*** that I was I said "you heard me shoot didn't you?".

A couple of years later I shot an eight but he was still moving but obviously not going far. I unloaded three rounds out of my BAR 7mm RM into him to make sure. My stepfather comes by and says "did you get four deer? I heard you shoot four times."

It was his turn to be a smartalec. I miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
            Back in high school my dad and I had a little lease down towards Utopia. I remember one opening morning it sounded like a war zone and I heard 4 shots in a row, then 30 seconds later another four shots. Abound 10 seconds later I heard a different hunter yell out “sight in your ******* gun!!” I got a chuckle out of it.
            That's pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Shot View Post
              Lol this cracks me up.
              My wife , her brother, and I are all out hunting last evening. All in different stands. I hear boom, then 20!seconds later another boom, etc, until there’s been five booms. Brother in law texts “how many of em did you get” lol. She texting like crazy I can’t believe I missed and he’s still here lol. Why isn’t he running away? Brother in law texts “he must have figured out you’re a lousy shot”. By now I’m laughing in the stand.

Things were pretty quiet at home last night. I resighted her gun this morning. Hahaha

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where we used to live, the place across the road, was owned by an old man for many years, he would kill one or two bucks a year and then tend to his cattle. So his place was very quiet most of the year. Then the old man died and his grand kids wound up with the place. The first two years, was ridiculous. There would typically be three pick up trucks loaded down with people, people riding in the beds, pulling in the gate multiple times a day on weekends and sometimes during the week. It sounded like there was a war going on over there most of deer season. The old man's place is probably 80 to 100 ac. I bet most weekends there were 15 plus people hunting the place. I used to see a lot of bucks, before the grand kids got the place, our deer population dropped by 40% to 50% after those first two years they had the place.
                Then some other people across the road, farther down the road, suddenly discovered hunting, who knew nothing about hunting. There were many young bucks that were not legal that disappeared after all of the hunters showed up. Some of the big bucks also disappeared, but I think manly because of hunting pressure, there were some very smart older bucks in the area, I doubt those people had much chance of getting a shot at, I think those deer just moved or started moving at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Shot View Post
                  Lol this cracks me up.

That one's really funny. My wife does not hunt, I don't have to worry about those problems.

Comment

Good thing it wasn't a TBH'r. We all shoot 2k+ customs or a $200 rifle that shoots almost as good

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      I hunt just west of Austin and it sure seems like everyone around here has a rifle issue.
                      I never hear just one shot. Typically it 3 or 4 occasionally its only 2. Now, I figure it must be the guns fault since we bow hunters struggle with bad broadheads
                      I guess it just could be a bad shot taker but saying that would probably get someone bent out of shape.
                      Probably shooting Remington Core-Lokt, pretty crappy ammo today.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        Good thing it wasn't a TBH'r. We all shoot 2k+ customs or a $200 rifle that shoots almost as good
                        Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                          Probably shooting Remington Core-Lokt, pretty crappy ammo today.
                          I agree with you, even though a lot of folks on here think it is great,,,, I guess there are some guns that like it,, just not one I ever shot

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                            When I first started hunting back in PA in the 80's lever action 30-30's were very popular. At day light the Monday after Thanksgiving when the season opened it sounded like a war zone as guys emptied their rifles on the first spike they saw. Then they would brag they got their buck; meanwhile it was full of holes and guys would be arguing over who shot last. It is why I stopped rifle hunting for a lot of years. The orange army, 1 million rifle hunters and many only hunted the first day or two.

That’s PA alright. That’s why they refer to opening day as “buck day”. Never saw anyone admit to shooting does in NE PA. Two week rifle season and no Sunday hunting. I stayed out of the woods till the war was over. Don’t even get me started on deer drives...great way to die early

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it is all the inexperienced hunters who bought AR's.

Comment

The land behind the place I hunt had guns going off in rapid-fire groups, and it sounded like multiple guns from different locations on the property - 3 shots, pause, 2 shots, pause, 3 shots... I was starting to wonder if they were horrible shots. After about a half hour of this, I realized they were probably dove hunting.

All the best,
                                Glenn

Comment

Working...
                                X