7.62x39 for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
    I really don’t know personally except maybe the 5.56 but I THINK he told me NATO. But why would it have a wire core ?

Who knows or cares frankly. All I can say is when you pop a 300+ pound boar hog that has about 50 pounds of cahonnes and it drops like a dead bug, that’s saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could be eastern bloc mil surplus. Sine it was their round.

Comment

I have an AR (Or 3) in 7.62X39. With the Tula 154 gr SP it is a pig thumper. I just bought a Ruger bolt gun, it is going to get to wear the NV and play with pigs at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I don’t know why you would. Hunting Ammo selection is very limited at best. It’s not like you would buy it for cheap Ammo for high volume shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Precisely. I hunted with a guy who owned the exact CZ rifle you are considering. He killed a deer with it but the bullet selection for hunting is next to zero. He shot it with an FMJ and I was p*ssed. I would go with the Grendel if you want something that small. The 6.5 bullets available for hunting are animal stoppers with a broader selection.

Personally, I have gone to a 260 Rem and I don't think a better deer cartridge has been developed. It is a vicious little round.

Comment

Me and my oldest son have AR's in 7.62x39. We love the cheap ammo for targets. We both harvested deer and turkeys last gun season with them. Quick one shot kills with Z-Max. Mine is from Windham with a 3x9 scope and a ten round magazine. I'd add a pic if I knew how. ( old guy, tech. limited ) I like them. Does as well as my 30-30 I think. You'll get lots of opinions from folks who haven't hunted with them. Just my two cents.
          Last edited by whiskers; 10-19-2017, 11:23 AM. Reason: I misspelled the ammo name.

Comment

I'm sorry but ammo selection for hunting with the 7.62x39 is far from limited. Remington federal Winchester hornady. Then we have the custom manufacturers and then we can talk about the imports. 4 shooters 3 guns 3 different steel case loads over last 5 years. Don't mean to start a heated debate but when it comes to x39 I know my stuff. And when I say the ones shot with the wolf did not move a step I mean it. Down DRT. Under 200-300 yards the 7.62x39 is the low recoil lighting bolt on the cheap. Is the Grendel a good hunting round sure but not for .22 cents a round.

Comment

Interesting stuff, Snipermedic. It's been a few seasons since I researched the subject so apparently, much has changed. When did Hornady start offering the SST in x39? BTW, I'm not a fan of steel cases for accuracy sports like hunting but it seems to serve you well. I'm glad you chimed in.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                I couldn't take it anymore

I found a good deal on a 527 in 6.5 Grendel. Looking forward to a lightweight shooter with next to no recoil.

Now i gota find a scope to compliment it.

Gun is shipping!

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                  I'm sorry but ammo selection for hunting with the 7.62x39 is far from limited. Remington federal Winchester hornady. Then we have the custom manufacturers and then we can talk about the imports. 4 shooters 3 guns 3 different steel case loads over last 5 years. Don't mean to start a heated debate but when it comes to x39 I know my stuff. And when I say the ones shot with the wolf did not move a step I mean it. Down DRT. Under 200-300 yards the 7.62x39 is the low recoil lighting bolt on the cheap. Is the Grendel a good hunting round sure but not for .22 cents a round.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting that the round would not work. Heck just about any round will kill deer or pigs. It’s just there are better choices with better selections of ammo. Cheap ammo is not even a consideration iin a low-volume hunting caliber at least not for me anyway. I always try to choose the best tool for the job. And to me 7.62 x 39 isn’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Its a .30 Caliber gun it will do the trick, Just dont go shooting out to 200+ yards with it.

Comment

Same as others have said for .223/5.56, save the FMJ surplus for plinking and use a well constructed SP bullet designed to expand and keep the range reasonable.

Comment

Keeping the range within a distance most shoot at lots of cartridges will work including the 7.62X39. Inside a couple hundred yards it works but from my experience the lower sectional density bullets do not penetrate as well as the same construction bullet from a 6.5 Grendel which makes sense.

I have killed a few deer with an old SKS back in the early 90s using Winchester 123gr soft point bullets is my only experience with it, broad side shots it works fine and will inside 200 yards but quartering shots left me less than impressed, sure they worked some of the time but there were a couple shots where I only knew what they did by good follow up shots.

With the 6.5 I have not seen those issues and have killed enough with 6.5s of various flavors to know what to expect.

On a shooting bet at a friends range I busted a few water jugs with the SKS and Winchester SP loads. 200 yards they still had some expansion, 300 and 400 yards left a 30cal hole in and 30cal hole on exit, no expansion. Shoot a Jug with a Grendel and Hornady SST, A-Max or ELD bullets at 500 and a water jug comes apart.

To the OP glad you found a Grendel at a good price, hope it shoots as good as my custom one does.

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                          X