No announcement yet.

Who applied for Western tags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First year for me to put in (i dont know why it took so long). I put in for Mule deer in Wyoming. I know its basically just to build the points for now.

Comment

Colorado-goat, sheep, deer and elk
      Utah-Everything
      Montana-goat
      Wyoming-elk, deer and pronghorn
      Arizona- elk, deer, sheep, pronghorn
      Nevada sheep, deer and elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian243 View Post
        First year for me to put in (i dont know why it took so long). I put in for Mule deer in Wyoming. I know its basically just to build the points for now.
        You might as well buy points for everything. You will want to hunt them all after you go hunting up there. I started just buying elk points and then wanted to kick myself for not getting into deer and antelope points sooner. It will give you something to hunt in between drawing your "dream" tag

Comment

First time since 2002 I don't have to put in for an elk tag. Resident Montana tags here I come!!

Comment

AZ - Deer, elk
            CO - Deer, elk, bear, antelope, sheep, goat, moose
            MT - Deer, elk, antelope
            WY -Deer, Elk
            UT - Deer, elk, sheep, goat, moose, (already harvested a bison)
            OR - Deer, elk, goat
            NM - Deer, elk, antelope, exotics
            NV - Elk, deer, sheep
            KY - Elk

Comment

So far I’m in AZ, CO, and UT

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                Colorado-goat, sheep, deer and elk
                Utah-Everything
                Montana-goat
                Wyoming-elk, deer and pronghorn
                Arizona- elk, deer, sheep, pronghorn
                Nevada sheep, deer and elk

What are your thoughts on Nevada?

I bought points last year at the last minute. I just played around a little on GoHunt and it looks like drawing a tag there is going to be next to impossible for anything other than deer. At 40 years old I'm thinking $216 to apply for all species it is a bad investment considering the long term odds with only 1 point right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                  What are your thoughts on Nevada?

I bought points last year at the last minute. I just played around a little on GoHunt and it looks like drawing a tag there is going to be next to impossible for anything other than deer. At 40 years old I'm thinking $216 to apply for all species it is a bad investment considering the long term odds with only 1 point right now.

I think the trophy quality of Nevada’s deer and elk make it a must apply for me. And they give out more non resident sheep tags than any other state.

Deer is avg probably 5-6 year draw I would say for Archery. Might draw it year 2 the first time and not again for 10 years. But I bet it avg out somewhere around 5-6 years.

Elk is once in a lifetime but the bulls are giant.

Comment

I do CO elk every year. None of the other state systems seem as good for non-res rifle elk.

Comment

I think the trophy quality of Nevada’s deer and elk make it a must apply for me. And they give out more non resident sheep tags than any other state.

Deer is avg probably 5-6 year draw I would say for Archery. Might draw it year 2 the first time and not again for 10 years. But I bet it avg out somewhere around 5-6 years.

Elk is once in a lifetime but the bulls are giant.

Yeah I think I read about the NR sheep situation which is why I bought points there last year. Would probably be cheaper to pay for a Dall in Alaska or Desert in Mexico though...

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                        I do CO elk every year. None of the other state systems seem as good for non-res rifle elk.

Wyoming is just as good as Colorado for rifle elk tags. Their general hunt is good

Comment

How many times have you hunted WY???

Wyoming is just as good as Colorado for rifle elk tags. Their general hunt is good

Comment

AZ- Deer, elk
                            MT- Deer, elk
                            UT- Deer, elk
                            NV- Deer, elk
                            Points only for me in WY, CO

Comment

Will burn my pronghorn points in WY this year with my son. Applied for elk general but did not get it. We will apply for CO elk but will likely go OTC. Will do OTC in Arizona for Cues and try to draw a javelina tag. Next year I will save up and try to draw a WY goat tag. I've missed the boat on Sheep unless I win the Super. If your young, start banking points. My gain on point creep for pronghorn in Wyoming is about 3-1 Nine years ago it took 9 points now it is 12 with the top unit only iffy at that level.

I don't like the Wilderness law in Wyoming either but you don't need a guide. Any WY resident can go with you. I do like their NR allocation. It is way more favorable than NM.

I like to hunt OTC not because I am successful but because I think I learn much more when the hunting is harder.

Comment

I average about 50 applications per year all across the country and have for about 10 years.

It’s definitely an investment.

Comment

Working...
                                X