Sous vide cookers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
    I got the Omocook from amazon when it was a lightning deal, I think it was $80. It has done great so far. How does ping pong balls help?
    I think they help prevent evaporation by catching the steam and condensing it back into water, back into the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
      I think they help prevent evaporation by catching the steam and condensing it back into water, back into the pan.
      This is correct, I have a lid on mine that does the same thing.

Comment

I have the Joule and love it. Check out all the reviews before you decide. I checked them out and decided to get the Joule.

Dave

Comment

Recently got a Sansaire but haven't used it yet, can't get away from the one I made a couple years ago.

Took a large oval crock pot (not digital) and made a double thick rubber gasket with a 1/4 slot on both sides to set between the pot and lid. Slots are for the thermometer and air line.
          Got a Dorkfood thermometer and a cheap aquarium air pump, pump stays on constant and the crockpot cycles off the thermometer. Yeah it's redneck, but keeps constant temps and has performed great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
            I have something in my sous vide bath right now and I cook with it several times a week. Chicken is the one protein I haven't liked cooked this way. I've done shrimp, lobster, steaks, pork chops, eggs, roast, ribs, and others with great results. It's also great for reheating foods.

I saw someone mention garlic which I advise against. Raw garlic will not cook at sous vide temps, so you're left with a bad taste. You also increase the risk of botulism by putting raw garlic in, however the risk are small. Of you like garlic like I do it is best to use it when you sear the meat post sous vide.

Also experiment with time & temps. You can cook meat to the point the texture changes dramatically which can be offputting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Ribs are the one thing that disappointed me. Could have been my fault though.

Comment

I have a Gormia (i think thats how its spelled) and I love it

I do chicken and steak in it pretty regularly.

Steak @ 129* for 1-3 hours and then sear

I dont remember the chicken temp I used but I've done wings/breast/bone in thighs and all have turned out great

Next experiment is to sous vide bone in chicken until cooked and then batter and fry long enough to get crispy skin.

Comment

Working...
              X