Bullfrog Gigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullfrog Gigging

Me and my coon @ss friend (mainly him) are looking for somewhere to go bullfrog gigging. He's been talking about this for months now and after months it actually started seeming intersting to me. Plus I have had fried frog legs and they are actually very good. The bayous around here have them, but I doubt they are safe to eat. Anyone suggest any part of a specific lake or public land area that is good for just such a thing? Any info would be appreciated.

i don't know where to go, but I agree fried frog legs are delicious

Comment

Fork

Comment

Dam b

Comment

Originally posted by awatsonjr View Post
          Dam b
          I am assuming you are speaking of the below place? its what came up when I googled Dam B. Have you been there personally and gigged or just know it would be a good spot? Thanks for your help

The Angelina Neches/Dam B WMA is located in Jasper and Tyler Counties in the fork of the Angelina River, Neches River and the B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir.

Comment

You can try some of the rice canals in the area, just check with the property owners. I have gigged hundreds of frogs on the east side of houston doing this. Most folks will allow you to gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
              You can try some of the rice canals in the area, just check with the property owners. I have gigged hundreds of frogs on the east side of houston doing this. Most folks will allow you to gig.
              I was fixing to suggest that. I have not been to katy in years but assume there is still rice fields around. Rice fields produce some of the biggest and best tasting frogs there is and it is easy pickins. I frog all different types of places here in Louisiana but when given the chance to go inrice fields its the easiest. They are usually shallow enough for a 4 wheeler and you can use that or a small go-devil boat or even ride the levee and wade out there to get them. Just a bit of advice only use a gig if u have to. Use your hands. ITs hard to stick a gig in a frog if its just floating on water.

Comment

i use a longbow and "custom" frog arrows. i have been out twice this year and only seen small frogs so far. Havent even heard them singing yet. I spend more time shooting frogs than just about any other critter and for my part of the world its starting out pretty slow this year. If you cant find any places near you PM me.

Comment

This is what I use for the floaters!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have been tearing them up in Lake Houston for years, go up the river channel on the north side of the lake. Get back up in some of the cuts and bayous there everywhere. Lot of creatures thet go bump in the night out there!!! Also after hours you can get up around the golf course!!!

Comment

Along any slough off of any river in the area. And I second Dam B/Steinhagen. Lots of them there up the river.

Comment

I miss froggin. We hardly have any left in this area.

Comment

Man find a golf course. My girlfriends mom works for a golf course and we go out there at night easiest from gigging there is.

Comment

You can also use a fishing pole and a topwater bait, like a hula popper or jitterbug. The ones I used to catch in tanks couldn't resist the subtle twitches out in front of them and would come after them every time. Good times!

Comment

Dam b used to be good 20 years ago when i went.i don't know if it is still good or not.but i do know if you go frog gigging on dam b you will need a public lands permit.

Comment

Working...
                              X