Hourly VS Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
    If you’re applying for the job because a new company has pursued you, or your current company is trying to advance you, you’re in a position to ask for compensation for lost overtime in the switch. This could also apply to you if you possess a skill set that they’re not going to easily be able to find elsewhere. If you’re just applying on your own, and especially if they will have other qualified applicants, I don’t think it’s appropriate to ask. If I was the boss, and had other good options, I wouldn’t hire someone who came in and immediately asked for a raise. I only read through part of this thread, so I don’t know which situation you’ll fall into, but tread lightly if you don’t have any leverage.
    I'm applying for the job on my own, I knew it was going to open up soon and have been thinking a lot about it. I have a good support system around me at work (manager and supervisor) and feel I have a good opportunity at it. As far as asking for more money, I would be respectful and professional about it if the job was offered to me. And honestly, the pay might not even be a pay cut, I'm just speculating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
      I would ask about the bonus structure before making any decisions. Most salaried employees recieve sizable bonuses when P&L goals are met... This does depend heavily on your industry though.

In a perfect world, if you're working alot of extra hours, business is good and your bonus should reflect that.
      yes, I do know the exempt employees bonuses are significantly better but just don't know how much better as far as % goes. Not in a position to ask now

Comment

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
        I'm applying for the job on my own, I knew it was going to open up soon and have been thinking a lot about it. I have a good support system around me at work (manager and supervisor) and feel I have a good opportunity at it. As far as asking for more money, I would be respectful and professional about it if the job was offered to me. And honestly, the pay might not even be a pay cut, I'm just speculating.
        To clarify, this is for the same company? If so asking for the raise (if needed) would be better, because they’re already paying you the salary you seek for another position...

Comment

I promoted to salary and the pay hike was significant, but the time and stress was too. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but definitely recommend you sincerely understand what the expectations are for the salary pozition. I went from working 4o hours/week right up to 65-70 hour weeks immediately. Pay is way better and benefits too, but a definite sacrifice to time and stress. That's just my experience. This is my first salary job ever

Comment

To clarify, this is for the same company? If so asking for the raise (if needed) would be better, because they’re already paying you the salary you seek for another position...

yes, the same company.

Comment

yes, the same company.
              Okay, that makes a big difference to me. Your employees already know what you have to offer, and if you’re worth your salary, they’re likely to work with you if they want you to fill the position.

Comment

yes, the same company.
                Does your career path and ability to grow and be promoted change if you gonthe salary route? That would be a big one for me. You will rarely actually work a 40hr week when salary but it has its perks. If you have the potential to be in a much better role and financial situation in 2-4 years I would jump at it

I average probably 55hrs/wk but there are some that it’s 65-70 and some that are 35 depending on time of year and what accounts are where.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                  I promoted to salary and the pay hike was significant, but the time and stress was too. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but definitely recommend you sincerely understand what the expectations are for the salary pozition. I went from working 4o hours/week right up to 65-70 hour weeks immediately. Pay is way better and benefits too, but a definite sacrifice to time and stress. That's just my experience. This is my first salary job ever
                  I'm lucky to get a 45 or 50hr week now on hourly, so im used to working long work weeks. I know another guy that works the position that I applied for and he normally works 40-45hrs a week.

Comment

Okay, that makes a big difference to me. Your employees already know what you have to offer, and if you’re worth your salary, they’re likely to work with you if they want you to fill the position.
                    agreed

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      Does your career path and ability to grow and be promoted change if you gonthe salary route? That would be a big one for me. You will rarely actually work a 40hr week when salary but it has its perks. If you have the potential to be in a much better role and financial situation in 2-4 years I would jump at it

I average probably 55hrs/wk but there are some that it’s 65-70 and some that are 35 depending on time of year and what accounts are where.
                      yes, going the salary route will definitely open up more doors in the future. Your opinion about it is how I feel as well. Even if I do lose some pay, it will be more beneficial in the long term.

Comment

Lots of good advice all around. I think these type of situations/decisions have different implications for different people obviously. Best advice I can offer is discusses all aspects with your wife (less money now = minus, more family time = big plus, more potential to grow in the future = big plus). At the end of the day, money isn't everything. Best off luck to you and your family with what ever you decide to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Lots of good advice all around. I think these type of situations/decisions have different implications for different people obviously. Best advice I can offer is discusses all aspects with your wife (less money now = minus, more family time = big plus, more potential to grow in the future = big plus). At the end of the day, money isn't everything. Best off luck to you and your family with what ever you decide to do.
                          thank you very much, solid advice

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post

This is a very important point and can’t be overstated. Whether or not it’s been discussed, family time is important. Way more important IMO than a few extra $$ on a paycheck. Your family relationship will be stronger and for me, there ain’t enough $$ in the world for me to sacrifice that any more than I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've been offered a salary position with my current company twice in the last year. I'm already near the top of the hourly pay scale and my benefits wouldn't change. the killer in the deal for me would be the huge pay cut. I currently put in between 96 and 112 hours a week with every 3rd week off. But like I said I'm already at the top of hourly so I wont be getting much in the way of raises in the future.

Comment

Salary a lot of times means more headache, but in the long run will be better. I have a buddy that is a petroleum engineer, he was a field hand first. Currently works in the oil and gas industry as a engineer in the office. He is thinking about going back to hourly as a field hand, because of the headache and stress plus not making near the money in the office as the field. I have also been looking to possibly find an hourly job, but I basically have low stress job. Can leave and take off when I want, and get off more than most holidays.

Comment

Working...
                                X