Helicopters and power lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicopters and power lines

It just does not seem like the two would go hand and hand. Does anyone on the green screen do this for a living?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but I bet those high voltage line workers make bank!

Comment

We watched them do that a few weeks back. It was crazy to see the helicopter fly sideways pulling the cable.

Comment

There is a video on the internet, of a guy who is in a helicopter, the fly up close to the lines, he attaches a safety harness or a ground strap or both, to one of the lines. Then gets out of the helicopter and puts one hand and one leg on each line and starts sliding or crawling along the lines. That's got to be about the craziest job I have ever seen. I have not seen that video in years, but it's pretty crazy, the helicopter next to the lines would be enough to scare the crap out of me, much less getting out of the helicopter, onto the lines. I have heard of linemen getting smoked, when someone accidently turns the power on, when they are working on the lines. So hell no, not a job for me.

Comment

A.B. Chance used to offer a service of cleaning insulators, adding dampening devices, repairing conductor or dead end sleeves to transmission lines. They would come in and show video at there presentations. They could not pay me enough. Some of there services offered was working on 138 to 512 kv hot........ to watch them ground their selves to the phase while the pilot held the chopper steady......sorry, I am out.

Rwc

Comment

They are used a lot on transmission lines for new construction or maintenance. They excel in hard to reach areas where bringing in heavy equipment is difficult. Also depending on what they are doing to the line they can work it hot with no outage required.

Another cool thing to look up is aerial side trimming with a helicopter. Saw blades hang below the helicopter and side trim trees. Google Rotor Blade or Aerial Solutions and watch their videos.

Comment

If I was younger I would love to do that. Think of the adrenaline rush you would get ,nothing else like it except running an arrow through a deer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

A guy I was in the service with does it for a living. He has worked on lines up to 1million volts. He says when he clamps on he can still feel the electric field all over him even wearing the special suit....and to answer a question above, yes, he makes some serious coin doing it.

Comment

Piece of cake! That 'chopper is the best (for that job). My avatar pic is the best ever!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    Piece of cake! That 'chopper is the best (for that job). My avatar pic is the best ever!!!!!!
                    I always heard low and slow was a dangerous combination for helicopters. Is that not so ?

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_1T2_l43Xo"]High power line workers (V.2 Better Quality) - YouTube[/ame]
                      Last edited by Froggy; 03-02-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

That's a BIG NOPE for me

Comment

What does that guy get paid?

Doesn't matter...it isn't enough

Comment

Is that down by the Port of Freeport? They've been flying a bunch this past week down there.

Comment

Not me

Comment

Working...
                              X