No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some onions from last year sprouting back up as well as my yearly garlic. gonna till soon and plant some early stuff. Might throw some early tomato sand peppers in too.

Comment

Also gonna try and run water out to the garden this year on a self timer for watering.

Comment

Well, we got more rain last night and more forecast for today...

Comment

On the bright side, in addition to the White and Gray Herron feeding frenzy, yesterday morning on the way down the driveway leaving for church, we saw that a Bald Eagle had joined the frenzy... He was sitting in a leafless tree top looking for fish in my pond... At least that was pretty cool to see...

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
            HELP!!! I have grub worms and ants in my raised beds? Is this a sign that my dirt quality is poor? This is the 4th year of raised beds so maybe I need to fertilize them heavier??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            I’ve been finding grub worms lately. From what I’ve read it’s a sign you’re going to need to add nutrients. I haven’t found a good way to kill them off without chemicals though

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              Finally a little sunshine.
              Everything is growing well. Especially the tomatoes, onions, and broccoli.
              Cucumbers are just starting to peek through. Still waiting on the squash to make an appearance.
              Asparagus is getting tall fast. No spears to harvest until next year is going to be a long wait.

Scotty: Please show me how big your bed is for the asparagus.... Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                Scotty: Please show me how big your bed is for the asparagus.... Thanks.

I planted them in raised beds. These beds are 12” wide and 12” tall. I planted them 2’ apart. I’ve read that the roots don’t grow down. They grow wide.

Comment

I braved the mist/rain all weekend. Saturday I got 2 new 4x8 boxes set up, cleaned out the old boxes from last year, tilled everything up and added fresh garden mix soil. Sunday I got the new boxes filled, bought 2 cubic yards of garden soil (only took 1... ). Then got everything planted, 2 boxes of taters, corn, squash, zucchini, okra, bell peppers, watermelon and strawberries. After I got all that done the wife decided she wanted a pretty fence with a gate built around it to keep the INDOOR dog out of the garden. I obliged and was out until 7pm last night building the fence and gate. I'll have to post pictures later as it was too dark to take any last night.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                    I’ve been finding grub worms lately. From what I’ve read it’s a sign you’re going to need to add nutrients. I haven’t found a good way to kill them off without chemicals though
                    I just added compost and fertilizer, and dug out and killed everyone I could find. We will see how that works.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

FYI, June bugs are what makes grub worms... Kill everyone you can find!

Comment

You need some chickens! Lol

Got everthing planted this weekend in the little bit of sunshine we had. Felt good to be able to do some yardwork finally.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
                          You need some chickens! Lol

Got everthing planted this weekend in the little bit of sunshine we had. Felt good to be able to do some yardwork finally.

I’ve been trying to get chicken or ducks for years! My wife is 100% against it

Comment

I’ve been trying to get chicken or ducks for years! My wife is 100% against it
                            Man i wish i had your problem! My wife came home with 5 more birds this weekend lol now i got to build a duck house. It took me over a year to convience her on the chickens and now she is addicted.

Full disclosure i wanted the extra chicks, ducks not so much. But its extra eggs!

Last edited by Part Timer; 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

as Now we have carrots,onion (reds abd1015s), spinach, cabbage, and I planted 150 green bean seeds today also am going to have okra in the ground within the next day. We have tomatoes, jalapeños, bell pepper, squash,zucchini, pickles, cucumbers, and watermelon started ready to transplant

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                FYI, June bugs are what makes grub worms... Kill everyone you can find!
                                They should change the name to March bugs. They blanketed the ground last night under all the porch lights and went full blown kamikaze on everyone in the garage last night...succeeding in that raid.

Kill everyone you can find....ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X