Pope and Young and sight lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
    i couldn't agree more. my net scores are how many inches i can measure.
    I hear ya! Im 5'7"!!! To hell with net !!!

Comment

Here. We dont care if you have sight lights, lighted nocks, 65 grain broad heads, bows less than 29" ata or 80% letoff.

Fyi, bows with a 29" ata is a P&Y dq as well.

Latest News Join Today 1 Year Membership: $65 3 Year Membership: $150 Life Member: $1500 Join About Us Membership & Chapter Services Publications bear hunting big game hunting big game hunting trips book a hunt deer hunting duck hunting elk hunting guided bear hunts guided deer hunts guided elk hunts guided hunts guided moose hunts hunting advocacy hunting freedom hunting organizations hunting trips international hunting join safari club moose hunting mountain lion hunting safari safari club international safari club membership sci waterfowl hunting where to hunt whitetail deer hunting wildlife conservation

Comment

Dang, they must be taking lessons from the lsba ...

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          Ok. Same concept of competitive advantage applies. With a lighted nock, and no pass through, then the hunter has the advantage of using the nock to assist in finding the animal either dead or alive.
          I don't buy that. A lighted nock has never helped me find an animal. I agree it does provide me with a better ability to see where my shot hit the animal, but in no way does it make the shot better or easier. Even if it aided in finding the dead animal (assuming it is dark and the arrow did not pass through), not sure how that would be against P&Y values. Wouldn't they WANT you to find the animal you just shot? Just don't see where having an aide in finding your animal is a competitive advantage. Don't flash lights aide in recovery as well? Those are legal. I agree it is their rules and I play by them, but don't agree with the lighted nock issue and don't agree it provides any advantage.

By the way, I am a member and have been for several years because generally I agree with what they stand for, but little silly rules like "no lighted nocks" really should be changed.
          Last edited by rladner; 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            Ok. Same concept of competitive advantage applies. With a lighted nock, and no pass through, then the hunter has the advantage of using the nock to assist in finding the animal either dead or alive.

I see what your meaning, but the "competitive advantage" leaves room for debate..
            meaning for example (during the "after the shot" tracking)
            you've blood trailed more deer than I- competitive advantage
            you happen to carry a spray bottle of Hydrogen peroxide to verify blood splatter - competitive adv.
            probably easier to leave it at "electronic device"

Comment

If'n P&Y want fair chase they should come hunt my lease. We can't get squat...

And yes, their club, their rules...

Comment

Jason
                The 80# "*" mark is gone and 29" does not disqualify you, a bow shorter tba 30" does, that includes cams.
                I also know you choose not to join the club but have you looked at the conservation side of it where you don't need to be part of the record keeping? Here's the deal for me, sci is great but I don't shoot a gun, p&y is the only national org that represents bowhunters exclusively whether you like all the rules or not.(and there are a few I don't shred with)

Next,
                A lighted nock can help in the recovery of game if it stays in the animal. So its excluded.

It was mentioned earlier in a post that the poster uses the lighted pins because sometimes it gets a little dark and can't see through the peep. It opens the door to "a little dark" meaning 11pm at night dark. I would bet very few on here look at their sights while in the stand at 1/2 hour after sunset and if you did you would notice you can see you pins. So with legal hunting time ending 1/2 hr after sunset the lighted pin issue isn't as big of a deal as perceived. But then again, if you are willing to shoot a buck that would qualify and pull the lights off and never mention it why would anyone think you wouldn't shoot a buck after legal shooting hours, I mean you've already displayed your ethics and integrity on the light issue.

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                  Jason
                  The 80# "*" mark is gone and 29" does not disqualify you, a bow shorter tba 30" does, that includes cams.
                  I also know you choose not to join the club but have you looked at the conservation side of it where you don't need to be part of the record keeping? Here's the deal for me, sci is great but I don't shoot a gun, p&y is the only national org that represents bowhunters exclusively whether you like all the rules or not.(and there are a few I don't shred with)

Next,
                  A lighted nock can help in the recovery of game if it stays in the animal. So its excluded.

It was mentioned earlier in a post that the poster uses the lighted pins because sometimes it gets a little dark and can't see through the peep. It opens the door to "a little dark" meaning 11pm at night dark. I would bet very few on here look at their sights while in the stand at 1/2 hour after sunset and if you did you would notice you can see you pins. So with legal hunting time ending 1/2 hr after sunset the lighted pin issue isn't as big of a deal as perceived. But then again, if you are willing to shoot a buck that would qualify and pull the lights off and never mention it why would anyone think you wouldn't shoot a buck after legal shooting hours, I mean you've already displayed your ethics and integrity on the light issue.
                  SPOT ON

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    Seeing my pins has ever really been an issue, it's seeing through my peep that gets me. I shoot a smaller peep for tighter groups and just can't see through it when it starts getting dark. At 20yds it's no problem. When I anchor off correctly my 20 is directly in the center of my peep.
                    Look into the Red Hawk archery peep. I use one and it is great for first and last light. It has an amber ring around it that opens up what you can see at dawn and dusk, big time. Not lighted. A great, great site. You will like it.

Comment

I gotcha. I dont hunt much from ground blinds for that reason about loosing 15min of hunting time.

Maybe one day the P&Y people will wake up. I guess I can see the lighted pin business but the lighted nock??? How does that help you kill a deer.
                      The Red Hawk Archery peep will give you those 15 minutes back.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadeyeDeb View Post
                        The Red Hawk Archery peep will give you those 15 minutes back.
                        Going back to what Jim said, I probably better keep what I've got... It keeps me legal I never need a flashlight leaving the bow stand, I use my peep to gauge when it's time to get down. If its dark enough I can't see through my peep it's time to go.

Comment

Simple solution to this dilemma would to get rid of all the gadgets and shoot a stick and string with wooden arrows.. Then you would have no problem qualifying for P&Y entry...

Comment

Good post Keep. I should have clarified shorter than 30". I used 29" cuz there are a few bows at that length.

Comment

Going back to what Jim said, I probably better keep what I've got... It keeps me legal I never need a flashlight leaving the bow stand, I use my peep to gauge when it's time to get down. If its dark enough I can't see through my peep it's time to go.
                              you can ruin a stand in a heartbeat if you expose yourself to a deer and it is light enough to prove what you are to the deer. i usually wait til it is too dark to tell what i am before i start my weem's howling to scatter any deer. and then i fire up a flashlight.

i assume it is legal to recharge your fiber optics with a flash of light as long as it is not a permanent light source.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                                Simple solution to this dilemma would to get rid of all the gadgets and shoot a stick and string with wooden arrows.. Then you would have no problem qualifying for P&Y entry...
                                Lol. Now thats spot on!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X