No announcement yet.

Best coon guards for your deer feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have that same old feeder with the metal wild game box and metal supports.
    The new one has the plastic on plastic and not metal supports to work with but a larger cage attached as above could solve the problems.

BF - Do you have a px of your set up if you have the Academy el cheapo all plastic and 4 bagger feeder?

Thanks, Jim

I posted up a different type of pen hog trap and would appreciate you taking a look and offering any suggestions . The trap is a spin on the Wexford trap where you have a 36" opening into the trap and the trap is open with a trip stick to close the trap WHILE the Wexford trap has a 24" width opening going down to a 14 inch opening and the hogs have to push in or go thru the the narrow opening. Several articles out that big hogs will not push into a tight trap very often.

It has worked well for me but wonder with all the minds here how it can be made better?

Comment

I do.

Same same but different. I (forgot I) had to run the leg post bases through the cage for a proper marrying. The gate is situated between leg posts...on left. Self tapped the cage to the hopper body and leg post bases. I can still unattach legs from bases and move feeder with cage attached or simply unattach by unscrewing three self tapping screws...if necessary. I like the spinner plate etc being protected by the cage.

PM if any other questions.

Good luck. God bless!
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I found the 1"x1" wire at Ace hardware 24"x15'
        Part number 412415 if you need to get the 1 inch wire. It is a pain to find or find in stock.
        Luck.

Jim

Comment

Most effective coon "guard" I've found. Dukes are the best!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DUKES.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	24540165

Comment

I'm just lazy - I run about a 1 foot line of grease out of my grease gun on each leg about half way up, yes you have to remember not to grab the leg with your hand but since I hunt in rattle snake country have to pay attention to what I'm doing anyhow

Comment

www.coonhood.com work great save a lot of feed no fooling with it once installed

Comment

I designed a feeder that throws the corn out of a slot. Zero issues of any kind and coons can’t touch it!
                Attached Files

Comment

a big basket is the way to go !
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-30-2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                    Most effective coon "guard" I've found. Dukes are the best!
                    [ATTACH]909704[/ATTACH]
                    That is what I am talking about we used these out in west Texas. It did not matter how many times we set them, if it set over night there would be a coon stuck to it.

Comment

Love the Dukes cuffs

Comment

im gonna try that slinky thing..i want to see them try climbing that

Comment

Eliminator spin plate, $40 problem solver

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo45 View Post
                            ^^^^^^^This solved it for us, no dealing with baskets anymore. Works great

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo45 View Post
                              They are more of problem then a problem solver for me. I have around 15 of them. They are always sticking in the down position due to being gummed up with corn dust or corn kernels sticking in the links. Even when they are working right, the coons at my places have learned how to pull them down to get to the corn. I had to put cages on all of mine the coons could reach. You don't need a big cage if the Eliminator is working properly because they need to get a paw on both sides of the plate and hang on it to pull it down. Any size cage will stop them from doing that although I recently saw two coons tag team the spinner plate with a small cage and pull it down but that will be very rare.

Comment

Slinky's worked for me. I have the square cage with 3/4-1" gaps in the cage, but they still liked to hang off of that working on the eliminator plate. Since putting slinky's on, I haven't got a single pic out of several thousand with a coon on the feeder like I was pre-slinky. Also, you can tell in all pics that the spinner plate does not move between pics meaning coons are getting to it and avoiding getting their picture taken. Slinky's work.

Comment

Working...
                                X