Box Blind vs Treestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
    How does a tree stand increase your view or chances of seeing more area?
    If I'm sitting in the hill country in my pop up blind on the ground, my view is constricted by small, scattered cedar bushes and various other low brush. If I'm say 15-20 ft. in a tree, I can see over all of that and see much more of the property. I can see animals moving that aren't just coming into corn.

Comment

Just sit on the ground and camo yourself up as a meth manufacturer. East Texas deer see that everyday.

Comment

I built a box blind this year and l really enjoy it. I’m too old to be climbing a tripod and here in south Texas we don’t have many tall trees. I also bought a real nice comfy reclining office chair.

Comment

Logan, I agree with AntlerCollector that East Tx. deer may be the smartest in the country. I use both box blinds and tree stands and both have their place. I love the visibility you have from a treestand but when it is really cold, windy and even raining, the box blind is the way to go. When the wind is right, I have had bucks 3 or 4 feet from my box blind. A box does not eliminate scent but I believe it helps contain it somewhat but you always need to consider the wind no matter where or how you are hunting. I first started bowhunting in East Tx and most of my hunting was done from homemade ladder stands or the old Baker climbers. Depending on how old and big a guy your nephew is you may want to consider one of the double ladder stands on the market. You could sit with him and get him first hand instruction on hunting and safety tips.

Comment

I prefer a tree hands down. When I set out feeders, I set out around areas that will have a tree to hang a stand in.

Have shot some deer out of pop ups but very much prefer tree stand when that's an option.

Comment

I see more deer from my treestand and hand corn spot than I do with my tank blind and feeder. This spot is in Tyler county. I've hunted west Texas/panhandle area and the box blinds were not an issue.

Comment

I like both. However like others have said, there aren't a whole lot of trees where I hunt and the few I do have aren't straight or tall, etc. You can generally see more out of a tree stand (360 view vs limited by windows) but you are also more visible. Sitting in a ground blind I can move my feet around, shift my weight, scratch my...ears, etc to stay comfortable and I'm still concealed. I can also grab a little nap in a blind without having to worry about falling. Tree stands are cooler (with breeze and shade, etc) when it is hot but I can wear shorts, etc in a ground blind when it is hot which helps balance it out. On the flip side when it is cold or rainy a ground blind gives you a little more warmth and keeps you dry. I would say I hunt out of my tank blinds 80% of the time and my tree stand the other 20% of the time.
                Last edited by cehorn; 11-15-2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

We hunt box blinds for rifles and stick to tripods/lean to tree stands for bow hunting. Put on full camo, spray on the scent-away, and wear rubber boots

Comment

I have, and like both. I love being up in a tree, but it doesn't give me much of an advantage where I hunt. The cover is so heavy, you still can't see anything moving. You pretty much have to just sit and wait. I have cut shooting lanes in all directions.

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
                    Get ready for wasps in those box blinds. I even have them in my elevated pop up
                    You sir, need a 'NO PEST' strip. Put it in your blind, it will be smelly for a few days, but wasps and other insects will not come around. It will last an entire season. I put 2 per year in my blinds (every 6 months) and haven't seen a wasp since I started.

Comment

20 foot ladder stand is my preference. In the elements

Comment

I much prefer a tree stand because I feel like I'm more connected with my surroundings but there are times when a ground blind is the way to go ( no trees/cover big enough to conceal a tree or tripod. Or in bad weather. When its 25/30 degrees and misty freezing rain with a strong north wind then a ground blind is a goooooood thing).
                        I say use both.

Comment

Box is (can be) like being indoors.Tree stand is like being in elements and alway a chance of Falling....There is a place for both when Young...but the day will come that (either Box
                          Blind or Coffin )will be Manditory
                          I could climb like a Squirrel tell about 60..Knees don't allow anymore

Comment

I have both and enjoy both. I hunt the one that best fits the weather, wind and my ability to stay awake!

Comment

Some like box blinds, some like pop-ups, some like building a brush blind, some like ladder stands, some like tree stands.

Some like Ford trucks, some like Chevy trucks, some like Toyota trucks, some like Nissan trucks, some like Dodge trucks.

As I've gotten older I would rather stay on the ground lol.

Comment

I don't want to be in the air, simply because I can find concealment where I hunt on the ground. I enjoy a good popup blind, but they're expensive and rarely last more than a couple solid years.

Lately I have had great success with brush blinds and even some spot and stalk on pigs. Nothing like bein on the ground 20 yards from an animal

Comment

Working...
                                X