Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Pen ? -- High Tensile Field Fence, 14.5 ga., 47 in. H x 330 ft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Pen ? -- High Tensile Field Fence, 14.5 ga., 47 in. H x 330 ft.

Anybody have any luck using this for a feed pen to hog and cows out ? They also makein a 12.5 ga

Nobody ?

Comment

I haven't tried it but I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as the posts are set well and close enough to each other. If there aren't any horses around, I'd consider running at least one strand of barbed wire on top, though.

Comment

Honestly....I don't know what it is but I'll help you keep this at the top so maybe someone can chime in and help you!

Comment

We made all of our pens out of it. LOT CHEAPER and it worked just fine. I ain't no fence builder so mine did not end up being nearly as tight as I would have liked it, but it did keep the animals out. Make sure you use plenty of T-post

Comment

corn-probably protein/alfalfa-probably not.A guy at our lease used it and the cows destroyed it trying to get to the protein.Also,do you have hogs?

Comment

We use "goat panel" all the time, however I am not sure what the gauge is....ours is usually 39"

The pros?...it is much cheaper

The cons?....

you must have four solid corners to use it...trees, steel poles, tposts with good anchored support.

you have to stretch it to make it tight and right...

it is harder and takes longer to install than panels

it requires more tposts than panels..

It is tough to reuse effectively if you cut it.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	S6300166 (Medium).JPG
Views:	5
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24047956

Name:	Chute view (Medium).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	24047957

Name:	The Chute Sideview (Medium).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	24047958

Name:	101_0024 (Medium).JPG
Views:	9
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	24047959
              Last edited by Smart; 01-30-2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

We have been building ours that way for 4yrs with no cows or hogs.

Started using 34 inch with one strand of barb wire at the very top. We see a lot more deer in the pen at this height.

Comment

I used it for three years on my last lease with no issues. I saved the T-Post but not the fence as it was buried in the ground and staked. I had not issues with it including three horses.

I'm going to put up a fence on my new lease here shortly. I have NO pigs or horses. The cows are well taken care of and aren't too much of a bother but I'm slinging soy beans mixed with corn and don't want to feed the cows. I'm likely going to set up a 600 lb. free choice next month.

I'm thinking of setting up a hot fence using the yellow rope with three strand conductor. The rancher has it all over the lease so the cows respect it and the deer are accustomed to it.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Smart - thanks for the photos.

Comment

If it is not real tight, the livestock will just bend it over. Good, solid corner posts are a must.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                      X