Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File knife without annealing

Kevin Smith told me on this thread. . .

. . . that I could make a file knife without annealing it first. So I thought I'd give it a try. I worked on it yesterday and today and just finished it.

Although it saved me from having to do any heat treating (except tempering), I'm not sure it was worth it. It took me several hours to grind this knife, and it gave me a crick in my neck from looking down at it. I had a difficult time drilling holes in it, too. I did like Kevin said and used a torched to heat the handle part, but I didn't get it soft enough at first and I destroyed a couple of my drill bits. I tried again and heated it until it was slightly red, and that time I was able to drill the holes.

I wondered how I might heat the handle up without destroying the temper on the blade. I ended up wrapping the blade up in a wet rag and putting that in a vice. It seemed to work. Here's the rainbow it created.

I was most concerned about ruining the temper while using the angle grinder, but I'd just grind a little, then pour water over it, then grind some more. I never got any rainbowing, so I assume the temper was good, especially because of how hard it was to grind. I went through two 50 grit belts that were nearly stripped down to the cloth. Then I used two 80 grit belts.

I'm pretty happy with how the knife turned out, but I'm not sure I'll do that again. It just took too much time, and I'm lazy.

Thanks for the idea, Kevin! I learned something new.

Looks great!

Comment

Looks nice sam. Curious why you didn't just anneal it all and harden it again? Just because you could?

Comment

You did good, get some carbide bits.

Comment

Did you clamp the knife in a vice?

Comment

What grit did you start grinding?

Comment

This knife is without heat treat, I did temper before grinding.

Comment

I started with 36 grit and worked it down.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                  Looks nice sam. Curious why you didn't just anneal it all and harden it again? Just because you could?
                  Yeah, I thought I'd give it a try. Previous attempts at heat treating didn't go smoothly, so I thought this would be a good way to end up with a good knife without having to stress out about whether the heat treating goes smoothly or not.

Besides, heat treating is a pain for me. I have to do it at night so it's dark enough to see, and it's too hot to burn a forge outside, and it's time consuming, waiting for the charcoal to burn, etc. One day, I'll make a gas forge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
                    You did good, get some carbide bits.
                    I ended up buying some cobalt bits. The ones I destroyed were cheap bits I got at Big Lots, so no biggy.

Comment

Did you clamp the knife in a vice?
                      I did when I annealed the handle. I had the blade wrapped up in a wet towel to keep it cool.

Comment

What grit did you start grinding?
                        I started with a 50 grit belt, wore that completely out, then used another 50 grit belt and wore that one out, too. I mean I wore them completely out. By the end of those two belts, I was getting close to finished, so I switched to an 80 grit belt.

Comment

This knife is without heat treat, I did temper before grinding.
                          That handle is going to be really pretty. I'm curious how long it took you to grind it and what grit you used.

I tempered mine before grinding, too. I put it in the oven at 450ºF for two hours, let it cool, then did it again.

Comment

I started with 36 grit and worked it down.
                            Yeah, I need to get a rougher grit.

Comment

I've never had a problem drilling, use new bits carbide is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X