A knife for my brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A knife for my brother

Last August, bbs383ci posted this beautiful Damascus skinning knife with a snakewood handle.

I thought it was absosmurfly beautiful, and I couldn't stop looking at it, so I downloaded a picture of it and used it as a template to make one. Actually, I was going to make two of them--one for an old friend and one for my brother. I had a little trouble with heat treating and broke one of them. This is the one that survived.

It's made of 1095 steel. The handle is stabilized walnut. I used Curtis Seebeck's cactus juice to stabilize it. It worked pretty well because it was really hard to sand out all the tool marks after I shaped it.

This is my fourth knife so far and the most successful so far, too. My first two didn't get hard when I heat treated them. I'm not sure about the third one. This one worked out well, though.

I used superglue to put a finish on the handle. Oh, and I also made that pin mosaic!

bbs383ci, I hope you don't mind me copying your knife. Remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :-) I promise I'm not going to sell it. I'm just going to give it to my brother.

I'm posting two pictures in different light conditions because I'm a terrible photographer.

Nice!

Comment

looks great

Comment

That looks great Sam.

Comment

I really like the profile. Very nice sir.

Comment

Pattern on the handle is super cool, good job.

Comment

Sam that is very very nice. awesome work!!

Comment

Very nice good work

Comment

good looking knife

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Been a while since I've been on here. Sam that knife with the snakewood handles was a premade blank. So it doesn't bother me even if you used a pattern I came up with if you like one and can replicate it, use it. Good looking blade by the way.

Comment

Beautiful work. The handle is beautiful. I used thin ca on a balsa topwater I made a few years back. It's tough and lays on like glass. Never thought of using it on a knife handle but looks awesome.

Comment

bbs, thanks. That makes me feel much better. :-) It was just too pretty for me not to make one. I'm making another one right now out of a rasp.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's another picture of my brother's knife with an ugly sheath I made for it. I took a class on leather carving last weekend, though, and I'm taking a class on leather stamping this Saturday. Hopefully soon I can start making prettier sheaths.

Comment

That is beautiful work.

Comment

Working...
                              X