Supressor Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
    How would you begin to choose which suppressor to get? There are so many different kinds.
    1. decide on budget
    2. decide on caliber(s)
    3. lots of internet research ... google, youtube, published data/literature, etc..
    4. if available in your area - range day at local shooting club for 1st hand experience
    5. ask plenty of questions ... document and write down the answers for comparison
    6. decide on what works best for you

I went with the Dead Air Mask rimfire and a Dead Air Sandman Titanium 30 caliber suppressors. Gamaliel Shooting Supply had a monthly special and it was around $900 for both cans

http://www.gamaliel.com/nfaitems/silencers.asp

Comment

if someone in the trust, friend for family member, screws up by committing a crime (either related or unrelated to the trust) and is charged/convicted, what implications does that have on the trust?

Comment

In my opinion, you may want to google the "Hearing Protection Act" that will be introduced in February before spending lots of money. You may not need it in the very near future! I have a "Solvent Trap" that cost $109.00 waiting for this ACT to be approved. PM me for more info.

“The Hearing Protection Act is about one thing: giving the law abiding citizens of our country the ability to protect their hearing while exercising their right to hunt and recreationally shoot without the onerous burden that the National Firearms Act places on suppressors,” he said.

They hope to position the bill the same way this time — not as a Second Amendment issue, but as a public-health effort to safeguard the eardrums of the nation’s 55 million gun owners. They even named it the Hearing Protection Act. It would end treating silencers as the same category as machine guns and grenades, thus eliminating a $200 tax and a nine-month approval process.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
          Not to hijack thread but can you elaborate? My wife has no interest in shooting or hunting. It might save a some paperwork if something should happen to me. But if I pass away, she would have no interest in keeping the suppressor.
          If you have a wife that you DO like, you need a trust. This assumes wifey knows the safe combo. You go hunting. Wifey home alone, with access to the NFA items. She is technically in possession of them, and if they're only registered to you, she has committed a felony. Likely to be enforced? No. Terrible if enforced? Umm, yeah.

If you have a wife that you DON'T like, you need a trust too. Texas is a community property state, meaning any property one spouse acquires during marriage is property of both spouses. Get divorced? Plan on splitting up your NFA collection 50/50.

Unless you want to pay me $300, I'll stop here. Call NFA lawyer Jim Willi and tell him Ben sent you. He is so good about answering questions with no pressure. He is the best NFA lawyer I've ever met:

James N. Willi
          Willi Law Firm, P.C.
          9600 Escarpment Blvd.
          Ste. 745, PMB 34
          Austin, TX 78749-1983
          Main (512) 288-3200
          Direct (512) 872-5304
          Cell (512) 751-3229
          jwilli@willi.com

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
          How would you begin to choose which suppressor to get? There are so many different kinds.
          Do you have access to land? If so, start a thread in your area saying you want to get introduced to suppressors and invite someone out to shoot and show. If you don't have land, maybe ask to meet someone at the range and buy them lunch. Most NFA guys will jump at the chance to share the giggles.

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

35Remington hooked me up with a sweet deal when Gamaliel Shooting Supply had a monthly special and it was around $900 for both cans
          FIFY

Originally posted by topshot View Post
          if someone in the trust, friend for family member, screws up by committing a crime (either related or unrelated to the trust) and is charged/convicted, what implications does that have on the trust?
          If you have a legit trust, like the one Jim Willi writes, it has specific provisions that deal with this kind of situation. It protects the other trustees and the trust property completely.

Comment

SC-Texas on here is a renowned expert on NFA and creating trusts. Plus, you get to help out a fellow TBH member and someone that's a regular participant of the sub forum. He is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got home from work and anxious to see what responses I got? Several answer some questions besides the OP I put up. One question, I may have missed it....my wife only shoots her sidearm and really has no interest in the rifles. However...I do have 3 son's and when my days are done they all go to them?? How does the trust affect this? I plan on calling the suggestions to get clarification but any "pre-call" advice helps.

Thanks all....keep 'em coming as once again, "this ole' dog is learning some new tricks."

Comment

Originally posted by texsdr View Post
                In my opinion, you may want to google the "Hearing Protection Act" that will be introduced in February before spending lots of money. You may not need it in the very near future! I have a "Solvent Trap" that cost $109.00 waiting for this ACT to be approved. PM me for more info.

“The Hearing Protection Act is about one thing: giving the law abiding citizens of our country the ability to protect their hearing while exercising their right to hunt and recreationally shoot without the onerous burden that the National Firearms Act places on suppressors,” he said.

They hope to position the bill the same way this time — not as a Second Amendment issue, but as a public-health effort to safeguard the eardrums of the nation’s 55 million gun owners. They even named it the Hearing Protection Act. It would end treating silencers as the same category as machine guns and grenades, thus eliminating a $200 tax and a nine-month approval process.

I am way overdue on starting the process for a suppressor, not only for myself, but for my kids. The above ^^^^ continues to make me question if it's worth the uncertain wait for something that might not ever pan out, or, may be drug out for many more months or even years. Do I just bite the bullet and do it now?

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                  Just got home from work and anxious to see what responses I got? Several answer some questions besides the OP I put up. One question, I may have missed it....my wife only shoots her sidearm and really has no interest in the rifles. However...I do have 3 son's and when my days are done they all go to them?? How does the trust affect this? I plan on calling the suggestions to get clarification but any "pre-call" advice helps.

Thanks all....keep 'em coming as once again, "this ole' dog is learning some new tricks."
                  Tell your lawyer to make your sons trustees, and to have the proceeds of the trust pass to the trustees who remain after the settlor (you) dies.

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
                  I am way overdue on starting the process for a suppressor, not only for myself, but for my kids. The above ^^^^ continues to make me question if it's worth the uncertain wait for something that might not ever pan out, or, may be drug out for many more months or even years. Do I just bite the bullet and do it now?
                  You would be a fool to wait. If the bill passes, suppressors will be impossible to find until production ramps up to meet the incredible demand of 50 million gunowners waking up and realizing they can walk into Academy and buy a silencer. The bill also includes a provision to refund the $200 tax that you would pay if you bought one today. Whether that is a sacrificial provision intended to be removed so as to appease the members of the House and Senate who are on the fence remains to be seen.

Buy one today, join the American Suppressor Association, and start having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by h2447intx View Post
                    The issue would be that your wife would now be in possession of a regulated class three fire arm , with out proper back ground, hens illegal possession.

The trust is easy and helps with wife or kids.

Still the best route in my opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
                    ??What exactly happens when you get divorced? How can her name be removed from the trust, or another name added?

Comment

So difficult to get a can.

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
                        I just did paperwork for 4 stamps...that is exactly how much faith I have in it passing 'anytime soon'.

Comment

Probably a stupid question...can ya put a home in the same trust as the suppressor?

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            I just did paperwork for 4 stamps...that is exactly how much faith I have in it passing 'anytime soon'.
                            I'm not counting on any real change real soon. Figure the whole capital will be nothing but a big cluster the first year. Hope I'm wrong.

Gary

Comment

No. An NFA trust is just for NFA items.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                No. An NFA trust is just for NFA items.

Gary
                                Incorrect. Probably can't put a house in it, but it's not limited to just NFA items. Anything firearm related is ok if your lawyer writes the trust that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X