string stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

string stop

what exactly does it do for the bow. increase speed? deaden sound and if deadens the sound should ai do away with the leaches?

It stops some of the string vibration after a shot. Not sure about using the two together but I bet someone on here will know.

Comment

A lot of it depends on the bow.

I had a Mathews S2 and used a Duravanes String Tamer, the bow was just as quiet without it.

They don't increase speed, but can change the point of impact slightly.

One benefit is allowing the arrow to leave the string before it "slacks" while traveling forward through the shot.

IMO, their best benefit is on short brace height bows, if you've ever seen slowmo footage of a bow shot the string can oscillate and hit the rest a couple times before it comes to a stop.

They can also prevent some string-forearm slap... but that is usually indicative of an improper grip or other form issue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGo4FJ53nGI"]YouTube- Slow motion of a Compound bow[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
        A lot of it depends on the bow.

I had a Mathews S2 and used a Duravanes String Tamer, the bow was just as quiet without it.

They don't increase speed, but can change the point of impact slightly.

One benefit is allowing the arrow to leave the string before it "slacks" while traveling forward through the shot.

IMO, their best benefit is on short brace height bows, if you've ever seen slowmo footage of a bow shot the string can oscillate and hit the rest a couple times before it comes to a stop.

They can also prevent some string-forearm slap... but that is usually indicative of an improper grip or other form issue.

YouTube- Slow motion of a Compound bow
        X2

Comment

Mostly it's a band-aid for poor form

Comment

Will it make a difference if the string stop is not exactly centered with the string? Could it cause an arrow to fly right or left?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
              Will it make a difference if the string stop is not exactly centered with the string? Could it cause an arrow to fly right or left?
              Could I guess...

But it would more likely, eventually knock the rubber stopper off.

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                Mostly it's a band-aid for poor form
                Explain please.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                  Explain please.
                  What's to explain... if you have proper form and execution the bow string isn't slapping your wrist or clothing..

Outside of that there is no reason to have one of them string stopping thingys..

Comment

....just wondering. thought maybe i needed one. thanks for saving some money for me. where do i send the checks?

Comment

What's to explain... if you have proper form and execution the bow string isn't slapping your wrist or clothing..

Outside of that there is no reason to have one of them string stopping thingys..
                      I knew I didn't word that right. I wasn't being rude. I haven't been shooting a bow long and I was wondering what would cause noise when shooting from bad form. Are the string stops only to keep the string from hitting something? I assumed that because of the rubber on them that the main idea was noise dampening of the string as opposed to keeping the string from striking one's arm or clothing.
                      Last edited by Ellis; 03-22-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I think what he is saying is that noise is something that manufacturers want you to worry about. Because deer and other animals were and are being killed by bows that have much less technology than today's as far as noise suppression. Back in the 80s/90s when everyone was shooting overdraws and tiny light arrows, bows sounded like a .22 short going off. And they killed a lot of deer. So for some reason people are putting on string suppressors to stop "noise" and also wrist slap on very short brace height bows. When in fact good form will fix the wrist slap, and the noise is a non issue in the bigger picture.

Kevin was it noticeable from the front or back side of the string?
                        Last edited by bowhuntntxn; 03-22-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

There is a noticeable difference, in sound, on my bows with/without the string stopper thingies.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            There is a noticeable difference, in sound, on my bows with/without the string stopper thingies.
                            x2

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                              Get you a series of arrows starting where you are now and increasing incrementally in 50 grain steps up to say 550 grains... take all the noise suppressor hardware off your bow... then shoot each arrow in turn.. you'll be surprised at how little noise you bow makes when the energy is going into the arrow instead of back into the bow..

Comment

Working...
                              X