X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW this thread is from 2009!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
      Its all hooey;.. kill them and eat them if there are no worms when you clean them.

A frost or freeze cant kill a worm that is already in a rabbit. Those worms stay toasty warm INSIDE the rabbit.
      If a rabbit had worms before a freeze, he will still have them after a freeze.
      this

Comment

Wild rabbits make awesome table fare jus sayin

Comment

Tularemia.

Mortality rate could be as high as 50 percent for certain types before we had antibiotics!

Nowadays about 1 percent die from it.

From Wiki

Yikes.

Comment

Never heard any of that crap about the R. We killed and ate cottontails when I was a kid and ate them that night. We would skin and clean, mom would cut them up and chicken fry them. Good meal, place the pieces on a bed of rice and cover with gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
              LOL!! The "Wolves" your article referenced are better known as "Screw Worms" they are the larve of the botfly...

All you do is skin and clean the rabbit in a normal fashion...and discard the portion that the worm was in... perfectly safe....
              Tuff, FYI, screw worms were eradicated in this country when I was a kid ( that's been awhile ). The " wolves " they speak of I have seen in cattle also and they are a large worm of some kind that I never did learn the correct name of. My Dad called them wolves also. Screw worms were an entirely different flesh eating larvae that caused us lots of trouble on the farm. Newborn calves' navel cords,any scratch on a cow, horse, dog, etc. would soon be filled with screw worms. I can still remember the smell of Peerless Screw Worm medicine that we mopped on them in the attempt to kill the screw worms. The eradication is the reason that deer populations flourished in the decades after the fifties. They were eradicated by air-dropping millions of sterile adult flies. No joke !

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                WOW this thread is from 2009!!!!
                BLhahahaha...I totally missed that till you posted it. Still good info.

Comment

Speaking of......the rabbit population is exploding at the ranch this year after being reduced to near zero the last few years due to the black plague. We get extreme swings up and down every 7 years. When they hit their peak there isn't enough ammo on the planet to kill them....shoot a quail and rabbits explode in every direction.

Comment

Comment

Ok, so who has a good rabbit stew recipe' and rabbit (chicken fry) recipe'?

Comment

We always went by the R rule including january when hunting squirrels, the other months they are pregnant and having and raising babies, besides that it is time for fishing in the other months.

Comment

I've been told my entire life only after freeze or the "r" months. I eat them whenever they happen at come out during target practice. Ate one a week ago. No issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X