Hiking vs Hunting boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiking vs Hunting boots

Whats the difference between hunting and hiking boots? I am looking for a new pair of boots for an upcoming elk hunt. Now is the time to buy and get good deals, but man are there options. Even on sale I won't spend over $200. Wanting something very comfortable, waterproof, and built to last. I know if I spend a little more i could get a little more but not looking for boots over $200. Any pointers on your favorites or your least favorites please let me know.

Hiking boots are better, across the board imo. Some people have a thing for camo, but more research is put into technical hiking boots, than hunting boots. Some of the newer companies may have a jam up boot, but a hiking manufacturer is probably making them.
    My favorites are Solomon's, and Oboz. I put over 1700 miles on my oboz last yr, hunting, fishing, and hiking. My second pair, and they definetly last longer than any Solomon, but not the same comfort. Anyway, good luck on your search.
    Last edited by MadHatter; 02-07-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Hunting boots - you want insulation... as much as you can get. Don't need the insulation so much in a boot used primarily for hiking. I got these for under $200 on sale... Danner Men's High Ground 8 Realtree X 1000G Hiking Boot
      Last edited by BowDude; 02-07-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

If you look around, you can find a pair of Danner Pronghorn that will get the job done, just make sure you put plenty of miles in them to break them in before you go (100+ miles is my benchmark)

Though, in my opinion, there's 2 MAJOR items you don't want to be cheap on (I know there's a few more but these for sure) is good boots and a pack. I would recommend you look closer to the under $300 price range and get a nice pair of technical hiking boots and good wool socks.

Comment

Originally posted by BowDude View Post
          Hunting boots - you want insulation... as much as you can get. Don't need the insulation so much in a boot used primarily for hiking. I got these for under $200 on sale... Danner Men's High Ground 8 Realtree X 1000G Hiking Boot
          You can get insulation in hiking boots no problem. Thinsulate insulation over 400grms is a scam anyway (info came straight from a boot manufacture).

Comment

I purchased these recently. Put about 35 miles on them before my Devil's River aoudad hunt, and they absolutely saved my feet/ankles in that extremely rough, loose rocky terrain...

Comment

I would put as much as you can toward a quality pair of boots if you are going to be doing any real hiking/packing. If you're road hunting or stand hunting then it won't matter as much.

I have some of the Cabela's that are made by Meindl and absolutely love them. After about 2 years I upgraded to the SuperFeet Hunt insole and it made them a brand new boot. (I think I paid around $230?)

If you want super comfortable, waterproof and built to last you may need to look in the $200-$300 range. My buddy got the Hoka One One hikers and loved them for his Colorado hunts this year but said if he would have been carrying heavy loads they would have been a little too soft
              Last edited by hooligan; 02-07-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Great info men. Thanks.

Comment

Lowas are great, I also have some Rocky boots that are really good too. The reason that I prefer the Lowas are because mine are waterproof, I put lots of miles in some bad terrain on them and they are nice!

Comment

Go to REI and try on some Solomon quest 4D GTX. They're on sale for $180 right now. I wore them elk hunting last year and they're awesome. I hiked a total of 3 miles in them prior to going to CO and they were already broke in. Don't even waste your time trying on the pronghorns.

Comment

I got some Danner boots for my Wisconsin Pheasant hunt. I also use them for work boots and dove hunting here in Texas. The are not insulated but are waterproof w/ Gortex. If it's cold I just layer socks to keep my feet warm. So far it's worked out well.

That being said, I just got a pair of Redwing boots. The are Irish Setter Wing Shooters. Also water proof and no insulation. These are so comfortable on my feet I feel like I could actually play basketball with them.

Comment

Another difference that I've noticed with a lot of hiking boots is stiffness. I know there are different styles, but for the most part, quality hiking boots are stiffer than average for additional ankle and foot support.

Comment

Different companies present hunting vs hiking differently.

For Danner just means it has camo and insulation option.

Lowa, Hanwag, Zamberlan, Crispi etc hunting is a bestseller mid flex range for NA market. But in general hiking boot has more flex then backpacking, alpine, mountain Etc

I get more fatigue with less stiff or more flexible boots. Everyone is different

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                            Whats the difference between hunting and hiking boots? I am looking for a new pair of boots for an upcoming elk hunt. Now is the time to buy and get good deals, but man are there options. Even on sale I won't spend over $200. Wanting something very comfortable, waterproof, and built to last. I know if I spend a little more i could get a little more but not looking for boots over $200. Any pointers on your favorites or your least favorites please let me know.
                            =< $200

Salewa Rapace(stiffest)
                            Danner Gila (just a touch above Salomon stiff)
                            Salomon 4d (GTX least stiff)
                            Crispi valdes(need to watch sales) almost Salewa stiff

Comment

Lowa Renegades for me. In your price range and a great quality boot. Danner used to be good, but quality has gone way down hill.

Comment

Working...
                              X