No announcement yet.

Bowhunter Dead-Fell Out Of Treestand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am guilty of not tethering from the ground up, but I will make it happen. Haven't hunted out of a tree yet this year. When I move a lock-on this weekend, there's a safety line going up with it.

Terrible news. Prayers for his family.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      My harness is connected to the safety line the entire time.
      I almost got you.

Comment

Prayers sent for his family.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          My harness is connected to the safety line the entire time. we use a weird slide knot that slips when slid by grasping the knot, but tightens when moved by the connection to the harness. (cannot remember the name of it for the life of me... )so we use it as the safety line and the harness connection while on stand.. it never comes off unless your feet are touching ground.

It is a prussic knot and pretty easy to tie. I made a prussic loop that is easily attached to the harnass teather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prussic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	24022846

Comment

I hunt off the ground 99% of the time but do own two tripods that are set up. They are 6-8 feet tall.

Yall use harnesses on tripods? I never had and dont own one. But will be looking for one now!

Sad deal for sure!

Comment

Terrible news. Prayers sent for his family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                It is a prussic knot and pretty easy to tie. I made a prussic loop that is easily attached to the harnass teather.

[ATTACH]277171[/ATTACH]
                thats it... looks exactly like the ones we use as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                  I hunt off the ground 99% of the time but do own two tripods that are set up. They are 6-8 feet tall.

Yall use harnesses on tripods? I never had and dont own one. But will be looking for one now!

Sad deal for sure!
                  If we back a tripod up to a tree I would...but right now..we don't.. so there really isn't anywhere to tie off...
                  Have to admit..tripods make me a little nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post

[ATTACH]277171[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks Corey.

Life lines going up this weekend.

Comment

dang that is terrible. I'm guilty of not wearing a harness. It's not too often I hunt more than 13 ft up. Still probably need to wear one.
                      Prayers up for his family and friends.

Comment

Prayers sent

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                          Just recently Mike Mckinsky with Team Real Tree fell to his death from a tree-stand up 17 feet. Reports say he had lowered his bow and was coming down and fell. Mike was a good guy with years of hunting experience. This is a tragic. Please pray for Mike and his family. Another loss from a tree-stand.
                          Wow, what a loss too soon, bet the landowner will get sued and more linsurance companies will require no tree stands in any lease they cover,,,,

Comment

any fall from greater than 5 feet can kill you... or worse, make you a para or quad. And its not just about what part of your body you fall on either. You trim up the little saplings and small brush under the tree? Fall on a 3 1/2" stob that you cut off to clear a way for your climber/ladder stand etc... see how quickly you can die from a punctured/bleeding lung, or have it penetrate your skull.
                            There is no excuse for not planning ahead and having a riggin system to get you in, and out, of the tree safely.

Comment

Horrible thing to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by helibow View Post
                                any fall from greater than 5 feet can kill you... or worse, make you a para or quad. And its not just about what part of your body you fall on either. You trim up the little saplings and small brush under the tree? Fall on a 3 1/2" stob that you cut off to clear a way for your climber/ladder stand etc... see how quickly you can die from a punctured/bleeding lung, or have it penetrate your skull.
                                Rhee is no excuse for not planning ahead and having a riggin system to get you in, and out, of the tree safely.
                                Great info and very true. Screw in tree steps have ripped and gutted many fall victims.

I am a TMA certified treestand safety instructor. I have the opportunity to review a lot of treestand accident injury reports. Most detail very tragic and devastating injuries.

Someone in a post above said " with all the people falling nowdays ". Hunters have always fell. You just hear about more nowdays. Actually less are falling nowdays with more hunters taking bowhunter education and increased awareness.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Arrowsmith; 10-18-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X