Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing: Grammar
    Sentences Never Start With 'Me'

One of the most common grammar errors made by people of all ages is to start a sentence with the word "Me."

For example: "Me and my family will be there at 8," or "Me and Josh are going to play baseball."

Now's the time to quit making that mistake. Resolve that you will never goof that way again.

Instead, you refer to yourself second in sentences like that, and usually you should use "I" instead of "me."

For example: "My family and I will be there at 8," or "Josh and I are going to play baseball."

A good way to memorize this is: if you can leave off the other party, and just refer to yourself, then it will be clear that you shouldn't use "me."

For example: "Me will be there at 8," or "Me is going to play baseball."

It sounds terrible, doesn't it? But these are right: "I will be there at 8," or "I am going to play baseball."

It helps a lot to remember the rule that the word "me" never starts a sentence, and when you are talking about more than one person, you usually refer to the other person first, and then yourself, and usually you will refer to yourself as "I" instead of "me."

Now take turns saying aloud a sentence that is wrong, that does start with the word "me," but everybody should write down on the paper the correct wording. Do three together, as a group, and three individually.

By now, you should have the rule down pat! That makes me (not I!!!!) very happy!
    Last edited by Burnadell; 12-23-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Keep them coming Burnadell. Ignoramuses lives matter!

Comment

Originally posted by limbbender View Post
        Keep them coming Burnadell. Ignoramuses lives matter!
        ILM

Yes, I'm tired of hearing about the dumbing down of America and decided to initiate the dumbing up of America. I try, but I grow weary. It's a thankless job, so your encouragement helps. I love you for that!

Comment

Me, myself and I ate at DQ after this mornings hunt. We all left full.

Comment

Me like old grumpy farts for some reason

Comment

Tim wonders who put the burr under your saddle blanket today?

Comment

I failed high school grammar two years in a row because they tried to teach me English but all I know is Texan.

Now 46 years later I think it's a little too late to try to learn me some English. Give it up boy.

Comment

Me,myself and I gotta no,

Comment

I’m digging the rules... patiently waiting for #4 .Be sure to include the proper usage of two,to, and too .

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                      Tim wonders who put the burr under your saddle blanket today?
                      Slick thinks Tim should go back and read rules #1 and #2 in order to get caught up... This here ain't no sudden thang... it's been a brewin' fer quite some time...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        Slick thinks Tim should go back and read rules #1 and #2 in order to get caught up... This here ain't no sudden thang... it's been a brewin' fer quite some time...
                        Yeah, burnies' got a high falutin education from Rice U so he's just lookin down down his nose at the rest of us blue collar boys.

But I'll still sail the high seas with that tuner killer anytime.

Comment

[ATTACH]889250[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Writing: Grammar
                            Sentences Never Start With 'Me'

One of the most common grammar errors made by people of all ages is to start a sentence with the word "Me."

For example: "Me and my family will be there at 8," or "Me and Josh are going to play baseball."

Now's the time to quit making that mistake. Resolve that you will never goof that way again.

Instead, you refer to yourself second in sentences like that, and usually you should use "I" instead of "me."

For example: "My family and I will be there at 8," or "Josh and I are going to play baseball."

A good way to memorize this is: if you can leave off the other party, and just refer to yourself, then it will be clear that you shouldn't use "me."

For example: "Me will be there at 8," or "Me is going to play baseball."

It sounds terrible, doesn't it? But these are right: "I will be there at 8," or "I am going to play baseball."

It helps a lot to remember the rule that the word "me" never starts a sentence, and when you are talking about more than one person, you usually refer to the other person first, and then yourself, and usually you will refer to yourself as "I" instead of "me."

Now take turns saying aloud a sentence that is wrong, that does start with the word "me," but everybody should write down on the paper the correct wording. Do three together, as a group, and three individually.

By now, you should have the rule down pat! That makes me (not I!!!!) very happy!
                            Your third grade English teacher beat you.....

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              Me and Garca are twins
                              Me thinks that was funny!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                Yeah, burnies' got a high falutin education from Rice U so he's just lookin down down his nose at the rest of us blue collar boys.

But I'll still sail the high seas with that tuner killer anytime.
                                Yea Geoff, I know'd ol' bernie wuz a hoot owl... Now in his older years, he's startin' to act like it too... Sure hope he don't go full libtard on us! If he goes and does that, we'll just have to impeach 'im!

Comment

Working...
                                X