Charities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charities

Do any of you give to these organizations?? After this last hurricane in Texas, Red Cross was painted with an ugly picture.

They just had a huge "drive" at work for United Way. I hate the way it's done. Every employee is given the United Way contribution form.

Everyone turns it in. If you opt not to give you mark "0" and don't sign, but still turn in. I had already thrown mine in the trash.

I hate the feeling of being "pressured" to give so it seems. Every year they do this. I honestly do not give to most if any organizations after looking at what most directors take in vs what actually goes to help.

I don't know.......maybe I am wrong??

If we give we stay away from charities. I find families in need and go straight to them. I don't look for it as a write off either so that may be different for others.

We had similar drives at my old job and I always threw them away. Nothing ever happened.

Red Cross(hairs) is a rip as you already stated!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
      If we give we stay away from charities. I find families in need and go straight to them. I don't look for it as a write off either so that may be different for others.

We had similar drives at my old job and I always threw them away. Nothing ever happened.

Red Cross(hairs) is a rip as you already stated!
      We do the same. My wife and daughter teach. They always have kids without coats, meals etc.

We do a local charity called Angel Tree. Other then that don't really mess with the big name charities.

Comment

I donate locally to "fill the bus" or "fill the boot" (school and fireman) type events or through the local HEB drives. I have also purchased food and delivered it to local pantries, and also like the buy a plate of BBQ type donations. Nothing nationally sponsored.

Comment

We give to a local mission, started by some folks I know and respect, that help folks in our community. I'd say find a local group and check them out. Make sure they actually help folks. If you can't find one, I personally vouch for The Mission Northeast in New Caney, TX.

Comment

I'm with Curt on this. I am not wanting to support an organization's managerial salaries.
            All a person has to do is open your eyes and look around. Our neighbors around us, people we see going here and there, families of the kids friends,single parent homes.That way you know exactly what the needs are and able to do the most good.
            A lot of time it will mean more to the people just to know that someone cares.

Giving should be done from the heart- not from pressure.

Comment

Working...
            X