Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was having a serious case of deja vu.....
    Attached Files

Comment

For some reason, he spooked. He came up quickly and turned around to leave. As he stopped, I was already at full draw.
      Attached Files

Comment

You're killin me. i need to see some bloodshed.

Comment

Immediately an arrow was on its way.
          Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately, it preliminarily looked as if the arrow was too high. It was definitely not the shot I wanted to make. As he ran out, his belly was almost scraping the ground as the arrow was close to the spine. We reviewed the video and confirmed the shot was high. We only hoped that as we were well above him, the downward angle of the arrow may have touched something vital as it was going through. We continued to set in the blind, giving it some time, and then called the tracker on the radio and began the search.

Comment

I made that shot on an nyala (only mine was not a down angle shot) and it did not turn out good for me as we did not recover it. The nyala fared OK as it was seen going about business as usual a few weeks after I came home. I sure hope your tracker found him for you.

Bisch

Comment

Guys, posting from my iPhone.....just lost Internet connection on my laptop, the weather is crazy here!

I guess as soon as it clears we'll be back in business.

Thanks
                Michael

Comment

We shall be waiting patiently.......well kinda.

Comment

We located the exact spot of the shot and begin continuing the trail from there. We followed a very spotty to no blood trail for some time. Again, it was amazing to see the tracker work.

Eventually, after following the trail up the side of an escalating mountain for some time, we decided to give up. Anthony advised that if we continue, we would have to forgo the afternoon/evening hunt. At this point, I was ready to do that as we had yet to lose an animal and I wasn't ready to start. However, Anthony advised that the tracker actually lives on this large property we were hunting and knows it well.

Anthony told me that the tracker stated he would come back to look for the bushbuck the next day. With this, I made the decision to give up. I figured maybe it would be better to let this lay and hope that maybe the broad head touched something on its way through as the arrow did come from a more above angle, and pray that the tracker could locate it.

Comment

Long story short....I actually have to fast forward a bit here......

Before I left, I gave the tracker a Gerber knife. He was very thankful and told me he would find my bushbuck. While I appreciated that, I didn't really hold much confidence in that because of how thick the area was as well as how large the side of that mountain was. However I had already turned it over to the lord in prayer and if it was meant to be, then it would.

I actually left and returned back to the states before I knew the result. Upon my return and immediately checking my email, there was an email from Anthony notifying me that the tracker, "William" had indeed found my bushbuck dead with the arrow still in him. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

While it didn't go down the way I would have planned, I actually left thinking I would never place my hands on those attractive dagger like horns. What a surprise and true testament to just how good this operation was. Even after I left, they were still working very hard for me.

Imagine the feelings to have already paid for the lost animal and leave, keeping in mind that in Africa, if it bleeds, it's yours; only to return back home and get the one news that would completely erase that one miserable feeling about the trip embedded deep in the very pit of your stomach. It was amazing and truly some of the best news I have ever heard in my life.

Comment

Glad they found him!

Comment

Congrats on getting that bushbuck! I was really worried about it when I saw the hit. That tracker did an outstanding job and is darn brave to boot. A wounded bushbuck can be a very nasty critter.

A trophy bushbuck is usually at least seven years old that's one of the reasons why they are so wiley.

Again congrats!

Comment

As the hunt week was was now drawing near a close, being only one full day left, the decison of where to hunt this afternoon was inevitable. We would be going back to the mountainous region where we had come so close to the big kudu before.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                              Congrats on getting that bushbuck! I was really worried about it when I saw the hit. That tracker did an outstanding job and is darn brave to boot. A wounded bushbuck can be a very nasty critter.

A trophy bushbuck is usually at least seven years old that's one of the reasons why they are so wiley.

Again congrats!
                              Thank you! You are right about the bushbuck, my PH actually made me stay close to him while on the trail as he relayed the same thing. Many people don't know that out of all the plains game, the bushbuck is probably the most dangerous as it has actually killed people after being wounded.
                              Last edited by MichaelW; 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

After settling into the blind and letting things calm down, the hunt almost seemed like another episode of deja vu from the last hunt at this location, although instead of a troop of baboons, we now had monkeys around us.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X