Fun at the range with a Ruger Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a year of owning it, I finally got it to the range to shoot it for the first time. This is a Ruger Charger which is a 10" barrel .22 pistol. It's got a couple of upgrades, but all total there is less than $350 invested for it all.

So I first fired 160 CCI Mini Mags through it to break it in and get the scope sighted in. Started off at the 5 yard range, then moved to the 7 yard, 15 yard, and then to the 25 yard range. Here is a 10 shot group at 25 yards.

That's a quarter for size comparison.

For fun I moved over to the 50 yard range, but the wind had picked up pretty good at that point and it shows.

It is a blast to shoot and next time I'm at the range with no wind, I'll try the 50 yard range again.

I have two of the takedown models for my BOBs. I need to put some glass on them and then the fun begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sure hope the 50-yd groups improve--that's terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
        Sure hope the 50-yd groups improve--that's terrible.

15 mph cross winds.

Comment

Cool... Is that a rifle scope you have mounted on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
            Cool... Is that a rifle scope you have mounted on it?

Yes. A Simmons 22 Mag scope. Eye relief is not too bad unless you are at full zoom.

Comment

Here's a 3 shot group out of my pistol.

300 Blackout Pistol
              Radical Firearms 7.5" Barrel
              Vortex Strikefire II Red Dot Scope
              Hornady Black 208 grain subs

Last edited by J. Colwell; 04-03-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I just finished some more work to my Charger. Copper Customs pistol brace adaptor, KAK pistol buffer tube, and a Shockwave Blade pistol brace. Once this wind calms down I’ll have to take it back to the range, and maybe try it on a 100 yard target.

Image E2B38D7A BBDD 4E67 9BA6 A042C75BF8A7 hosted in Lensdump

Comment

I have a first generation Charger not as accurate as my mk11 or Buckmark but dang it is fun to shoot

Comment

So I finally got to the range today after adding the Copper Customs pistol brace adaptor and a KAK Blade pistol brace. This was on the rifle range instead of the pistol range. I wanted to see what the long range accuracy was without taking my time with CCI Mini Mags.

Image C0D4F359 0A84 4093 954B 97A6118133F7 hosted in Lensdump

The results are about a 4 to 5 inch group at 100 yards! With a better scope than this cheap Simmons 22 Mag scope and with taking my time this grouping could probably be decreased by one or two inches.

Comment

That’s not a bad scope at all for the $$...nice work Dave!

Comment

Thanks!

All total, including the purchase price of the pistol, it would cost around $450 to duplicate what has been done.

Comment

Here is a quick video I made while I was out there shooting a steel silhouette target at 100 yards. It hit 8 out of 10 with firing pretty quickly.

It’s time now for some better glass so I can try this again on the 200 yard lane. Can someone recommend a scope that won’t break the bank but is a lot better, and clearer, than the Simmons .22 Mag scope? Preferably one that has at least 10 power when zoomed in. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
                            Here's a 3 shot group out of my pistol.

300 Blackout Pistol
                            Radical Firearms 7.5" Barrel
                            Vortex Strikefire II Red Dot Scope
                            Hornady Black 208 grain subs

That looks like a perfect truck gun to me except I might be scared to shoot it without a can or earplugs. How loud is it?

Comment

So yesterday I went to Academy looking at a new carry pistol and I ended up walking out with a new scope to try on my Charger. It is the same power as my old scope at 3-9, the glass is only slightly clearer than my current scope, and it was cheap at $50. It is a BSA Sweet .22 model. The primary reason why I picked it up is it has an adjustable trajectory compensator that is adjustable from 50 to 150 yards.

Who knows if it will work or not but at $50 it is worth a shot. If it works then great! I want to see if I can get 6” or so groups at 150-200 yards. If it doesn’t work then I’ll put it on my Marlin model 60 rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X