2018-2019 Hill Country Hunting Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
    Thank you sir! I’ve followed a few of the threads on here about watering deer from totes, and I’m always looking at ways to help improve water distribution. We have 4 wells on the property and may be drilling one more in the future, but I’d like to try a setup like yours for at least a temporary solution. I have the totes, i just need a pump to pull from one of our storage tanks.
    You're welcome!
    If we decide this is the place we are going to retire to we are gonna have another well drilled in the center of the property just for the wildlife. Until then we try our best to keep the waterers filled all the time. We go up at least every 2 weeks and right now that is about all we are getting out of them till the animals drink them dry.

Comment

Aggie: he still has a long ways to go and I’m not sure I’d even be in the area code with a guess right now. I love his age and character though. That’s a great Mason Co deer!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
        You're welcome!
        If we decide this is the place we are going to retire to we are gonna have another well drilled in the center of the property just for the wildlife. Until then we try our best to keep the waterers filled all the time. We go up at least every 2 weeks and right now that is about all we are getting out of them till the animals drink them dry.
        Buy out your neighbor!!!

Comment

Yep

Comment

Zach and I rolled in Thursday at sundown. Stopped at the trailer and turned on the AC, and then parked 40 yards away to glass a meadow below camp that's just above the river bottom. About 1 minute later, axis started coming up out of the river bottom into the meadow, but on the other side of the fence. About 60 does and young bucks began feeding up the fenceline, and then. Big buck jumped into the meadow. He was bellowing, curling his lip, and chasing does around.

Zach and I grabbed his gun and made our way down a brush line to the last tree. We watched from there. About halfway up the fenceline, the herd started passing through a gap in the fence into our pasture. Big boy followed. He continued to chase does around for a while. When he finally got still and broadside about 175 yards away from us, Zach fired his .25-06. He hit him high shoulder and dropped him in his tracks.

Very exciting, yet quick hunt.

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

Nice one! We are finally about to head out to the lease after some delays this morning. Pigs beware...

Comment

2018-2019 Hill Country Hunting Season

Meanwhile at our lease.....

4 years without issues and this guy shows up two weeks ago tearing crap up

Comment

Son of a gun! Great job on the Axis!

Comment

Man, that stinks. Kill that sucker.
                      Originally posted by 150class View Post
                      Meanwhile at our lease.....

4 years without issues and this guy shows up two weeks ago tearing crap up

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Man, that stinks. Kill that sucker.
                        Unfortunately isn’t big enough but if he keeps this up a exception might be made...

Congrats on your sons axis!

Comment

Just got back from our place in San Saba. DRY & HOT!!! Deer are looking good for now & seen quite a few fawns. Sat in the stand yesterday evening, no piggies ,but did see an impressive big 8. Put out a ton of protein & 10 bags of corn. Filled both waterers. One was almost empty, other one was for about 3 days looking at pics. It was a 102 in the shade yesterday ,so we did most of the work from 10 pm to a little after midnite & just slept in a little later this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                            Just got back from our place in San Saba. DRY & HOT!!! Deer are looking good for now & seen quite a few fawns. Sat in the stand yesterday evening, no piggies ,but did see an impressive big 8. Put out a ton of protein & 10 bags of corn. Filled both waterers. One was almost empty, other one was for about 3 days looking at pics. It was a 102 in the shade yesterday ,so we did most of the work from 10 pm to a little after midnite & just slept in a little later this morning.
                            Sounds like a good weekend! I really like the work hours! I keep a spreadsheet for every rain event at the ranch, so far we have had 8” on the year. 2011 we had 6”. Normally we are at 16” by late July, it’s DRY!

Comment

I got back yesterday evening. It's getting way dry out there but still have a tiny flow in the creek and good water still in the spring so far. Saw a ton of deer and a very nice 10pt. Shot one little hog, only one I saw. Overall, way hot but nice to get out there with my kids.

Comment

I’ll post some trail cam pictures of our place later this weekend hopefully, but until then.... I’ve got a buddy that leases a bunch of country in Mason County and sells hunts. I’m not selling hunts for him(he’s booked up anyway), so don’t go there. Anyway, I rode around with him on Tuesday while he fed the roads, hoping to get a few pictures. Antlers are down quite a bit from last year, but there are still some good deer around.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X