Retiring an Old Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retiring an Old Rifle

Well, I think it's time for a new rifle. I love this old gun though. It's a 1964 Remington 760 Gamemaster that my Grandpa gave me when I was about 14. He told me that he bought it off of an 80 year old man that used to take it elk hunting every year until he couldn't handle it anymore. Just recently I had to replace the old Bausch & Lomb scope that was on it because it would no longer hold zero. I put a vintage Weaver K-4 with a post reticle on it. This gun is scarred and beat up. It's spent some heavy use in the field. It sure isn't pretty, but it goes bang every time. It wont win any accuracy competitions, but will put meat in the freezer whenever it needs to.

Last Friday, I shot this axis doe with it as a kinda farewell last hunt with it. I may pull it out and hunt with it every now and then for nostalgic reasons, but since I've started bow hunting this is my first rifle kill I've had. (I think 6 or 7 years). If I ever draw an elk tag, or ever get to hunt out west, I may just have to bring this old rifle along for the ride, and maybe let it see some action.

p.s. Bonus points if you can find the axis deer in the scope picture
    Attached Files

I had one of those in 30-06 in my younger days. Shot several deer with it too. It had a Weaver 2.5 scope on it with big crosshairs. They weren't hard to find in the woods !

Comment

At about 10 o'clock in the pic? Head on just eyes and an ear?

Comment

I have my grandfathers savage 99 with the same scope and at 100 yds whatever it is. Its dead

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I had one of those in 30-06 in my younger days. Shot several deer with it too. It had a Weaver 2.5 scope on it with big crosshairs. They weren't hard to find in the woods !
          I failed to metion, but this is chambered in 30-06 as well

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          At about 10 o'clock in the pic? Head on just eyes and an ear?
          Nope

Comment

Lower left in the scope about 7 O'clock

Comment

[QUOTE=TEXAS 10PT;12292996]Lower left in the scope about 7 O'clock[/QUOTE

Nope. 7 O'clock is close though

Comment

Comment

Hahaha! I think that's a fallow! And the deer is still in that picture

Comment

Got It. It's in the cooler!

Comment

Got It. It's in the cooler!
                      Bingo!

Comment

Nice old classic hunting rig. The 760's are one of my favorites...bet that 30-06 will put a bruise on your shoulder. My 270 with the steel butt-plate is a kicker.

Comment

I have retired my dad's .257 Roberts that is about '55 model.
                          I did kill a doe and a coyote with it on its last trip.

Wish I had hunted it a few more times.

Comment

Love those old guns. I have a Browning BLR 243 that was made in Belgium that has a constant place in my safe. I killed my first deer with it when I was 8 and brought it out a few years back to kill a nice 130" 8pt. I probably wont kill another deer with it, but my daughter hopefully will one day if she has the desire to hunt.

Comment

top right laying in the brush?

Comment

Working...
                              X