Bill passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
    Ill put it this way as well. Bird a is a duck. Bird b is a dove.

Bird A goes from: Body of water in canada
    To:Body of water in midwest
    To:Body of water in South
    To:Body of water in mexico.

Bird A is going from small area to small area. Hunters are concentrating on most of these areas thus producing a large amount of (lead) shot in the feeding areas.

Bird B however goes from field to field to pond. A large amount of these fields are not hunted, and the hunters are spread over more area instead of being highly concentrated on isolated spots where the majority of the birds feed (like bird a).

Am i making sense?
    not really because the dove hunters normally hit the same fields every year. So there would still be a high concentratiuon of lead shot sitting in some type of field

Comment

Absolutely NO good science backing up the lead ban. None. It's the same deal as DDT.

This legislation has no chance in the Senate...especially not in an election year. But good on the GOP for at least doing SOMETHING.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Archer View Post
        Absolutely NO good science backing up the lead ban. None. It's the same deal as DDT.

This legislation has no chance in the Senate...especially not in an election year. But good on the GOP for at least doing SOMETHING.
        Dang I thought I was the only one who thought this way

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Is there a shortage of ducks?
          Only when I pull the trigger .

Numbers are not what they used to be. But better than they were.

Hi Jeff!

Comment

As far as i know, lead is a naturally occurring element in the wild. that means heavy metalsnare present in EVERYTHING we eat, drink, touch, taste, smell, whatever, so saying a single bird eating a pellet destroys the environment for everyone who ever comes in contact with that incident is ludicrous. The actual amount, unless digested by the shooter when he fails to remove it from the game, isnt enough to do damage.

(queue the links that show lead toxicity)

Comment

Hi Mikey!!

So there are less now than when lead shot was being used??

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                Hi Mikey!!

So there are less now than when lead shot was being used??
                This is from DU.

The 2011 breeding population estimate for the 10 most common duck species in the traditional survey area was 45.6 million birds—an 11 percent increase from the previous year's estimate and the largest total estimate since surveys began in 1955. Mallards had a breeding population of 9.2 million birds—up 9 percent from last year and the largest estimate since 2000. In more good news for waterfowl hunters, blue-winged teal, redheads, and shovelers reached record highs this spring. In addition, pintails had a breeding population of 4.4 million birds, a 26 percent increase from the previous year and the first time this population has surpassed 4 million birds since 1980. Populations of all other duck species in the traditional survey area were statistically similar to last year. Only two species—scaup and American wigeon—were below their long-term averages.

Comment

You are like a redneck mhundt

Comment

I can't tell you how many ducks I have seen hit by steel shot and either get up and fly off or keep flying and perhaps swim off and not be recovered because of the low energy delivery of steel. I have seen a Blue bill get knocked down swim 50 yds fly off land 400 yds out in the bay and slowly die... With lead they DIE!

Comment

What Jaspro posted Jeff . I was make-n a oxymoron in the second line above for ya, just to confuse you. I see it worked
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Can someone dumb this down for me please

Comment

Originally posted by back-woods-boy View Post
                          I can't tell you how many ducks I have seen hit by steel shot and either get up and fly off or keep flying and perhaps swim off and not be recovered because of the low energy delivery of steel. I have seen a Blue bill get knocked down swim 50 yds fly off land 400 yds out in the bay and slowly die... With lead they DIE!
                          Agree 100%

Give me some #4 lead and I'm a happy duck killing machine!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trap-Daddy View Post
                            Can someone dumb this down for me please
                            lead bullets will continue to be legal means (rifle) while I believe existing laws regarding use of lead on water fowl will remain illegal.

Comment

Well quail used to be more plentiful and they were/are hunted with lead and there is less today than ever before. I just don't see it. I think ducks have less breading ground and more predation than before but there are many theories about the decline. It is somewhat cyclical due to rains and floods, food sources etc. much like anything else in nature.

By the way how do you really count ducks with any real accuracy. Not sure you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                                lead bullets will continue to be legal means (rifle) while I believe existing laws regarding use of lead on water fowl will remain illegal.
                                Lead for upland game birds and small game animals will still be legal as well. Just not migratory birds.

Comment

Working...
                                X