Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May jump on the Creedmoor wagon... which way to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    Ruger American for hunting. I have one in .270 that shoots great straight out the box.
    But I wish I had a threaded 6.5 just like it.
    Stock is lightweight and mine is rattlecanned Love the dropout magazine. Straight stock and Thumb safety is great for a left eyed right handed hunter.
    I killed 4 pigs out of one sounder recently. Missed the fifth!
    Thanks for the reply. The fact that it's not threaded doesn't affect me that much. I wasn't planning on adding a muzzle device of any kind (including a can) to this one. Still keeping this one in mind.
    All the best,
    Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
      $400 range: Ruger American Predator
      $1000 range: Tikka T3x CTR
      $2000 range: have APR make you one
      That's two for the Ruger. The Tikka is a little out of my price range. I wasn't even going to consider a APR. Just too much for me. Thanks!
      All the best,
      Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
        I have a weatherby vanguard h-bar in 6.5. It's their new line of rifles. Has a 20" threaded barrel to run suppressed if you choose. It shoots great, only shot out to 415 yards so far with it and had no problem connecting on steel. It runs 620$ at champion firearms in college station. Best of luck
        I'll look again, but I've never really cared for a Weatherby. Just doesn't appeal to me. But I will give it a second look. Thanks for the reply.
        All the best,
        Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
          Hunt GunBroker and get a bergara HMR. After trying them nothing can compete for the money.
          I've been scouring GunBroker daily. I'll look at the Bergara. Thanks!
          All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

If you like the style and fit of your TC, then wait for an encore barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
              Well, Remington just came out with some 6.5 CM models, at least they announced them. I started a thread last week on it. I was the same way about Remington but I tried some Tikkas and Savage and found out that getting a rifle that, out of the box, doesn't need a new trigger or a stock or a action trued ended up being WAY cheaper. Given the range you're shooting, I'd go shoulder some Tikka T3x or CTR (20" and 24") and some Savage rifles (like the 10/110 Predator I have) and a Bergara B-14. Pick the one that feels best to you. ALL of them should shoot sub moa and likely approx .5 moa (or less) with the right hand loads.
              Thank you. I'd really like to find a Savage, but all I'm seeing in the Creedmoor is their less expensive ones (Axis). I'll keep looking through. The Tikka keeps coming up as well, so that is on the list to look at. And once more for a Bergara. Man... Bergara stepped up the pace lately, haven't they? I've owned a few rifles with Bergara barrels in the past, and I liked them. I'll give them another look. I'm trying to get away from the Remington for this one. I own two, and although I like them, I want to try something different. Thanks again.
              All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                Welcome to the Dark Side!!! All of the recommendations already presented are great options. I picked up a Savage 11 several years ago from a gun store for $400 and it's the best rifle I've ever owned. I just bought a Ruger American for my son and put a Boyds stock on it. The first trip to the range with it was promising and it looks like it will be just as good of a shooter as my Savage.

I have a buddy that picked up a Begara Hunter (green stock) and he absolutely loves his gun.
                Thanks for the reply. All are on the list.
                All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                  Good article to read for those on board the 6.5mm band wagon

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ut-6-5mm-ammo/
                  Yeah, I know. I actually probably shouldn't be buying a 6.5 Creedmoor. But I haven't been able to find what I really want (.260 Rem), and since the Creedmoor seems to be everywhere, I'm giving in.
                  All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                    I have the Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5, a touch higher in price than some listed. For the money you get a very nice Orias chassis system, Timney 517, etc. The Bergara will shoot sub .5 at 300 and about a minute at 600. I will admit that my scope is not ideal for target shooting (Heavy crosshairs).

I have put my cousins Savage on the Magneto Speed and that thing shoots over 100 FPS faster than my Bergara, same ammo on the same day. The guns were side by side at the range. He has some signs of over-pressure on the brass with factory Hornady 140's - Ejector marks on the case head, black around the primers and in some cases popping the primers out.

I feel like the cheaper long range guns may be cutting the chamber tighter to get the improved accuracy at a lower cost - just my opinion.

Find one that has Cerakote, or similar, coating on the metal. At the lease my cousin's will show signs of light rust if just left on the porch overnight. He is constantly chasing that issue with oil and scrubbing. I have never had that issue with the Bergara and again these guns see the same work when we have them out.

After this long post, I will say this: The Savage will shoot one hole 5 shot groups at 100 and has a sweet feeling trigger right out of the box. My Bergara seems to shoot better at 300 than 100 and my cousin always lets me know about it when we shoot 100 - again this my be the heavy crosshairs that I am using. Also, the factory Savage trigger felt so much better than the Timney 517 that I actually replaced the Timney with a Jewell to get a clean 2 pound break that I felt confident would hold the firing pin in any situation.

Finally, we recently picked up a Ruger RPR v2 in .223. That thing has been flawless at the lease. I cant compare accuracy because of caliber but I have been impressed with the gun overall. The trigger rivals that of the Savage and everything on that RPR seems well thought out.

You have a lot of options out there in the same general price range right now. I have had good luck with most names listed, including: Bergara, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa, Savage and Ruger. I am sure I am forgetting some details but wanted to give an honest comparison of the Bergara and Savage. Good luck!
                    Excellent info. Thank you.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                      Thank you. I'd really like to find a Savage, but all I'm seeing in the Creedmoor is their less expensive ones (Axis). I'll keep looking through. The Tikka keeps coming up as well, so that is on the list to look at. And once more for a Bergara. Man... Bergara stepped up the pace lately, haven't they? I've owned a few rifles with Bergara barrels in the past, and I liked them. I'll give them another look. I'm trying to get away from the Remington for this one. I own two, and although I like them, I want to try something different. Thanks again.

All the best,

Glenn

Are you looking at local stores or online? If you can find a 10/110 Predator in another caliber you could see if you like the feel of it. Then go order one online in 6.5cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a look at www.SportingArms.com

She's based in Lewisville but it will give you another source to look for different guns. Savage just rolled out a sweet lightweight 20" 6.5 Creed that I was going to buy but ran into a smoking hot deal on a Ruger American at a gun show.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                          Are you looking at local stores or online? If you can find a 10/110 Predator in another caliber you could see if you like the feel of it. Then go order one online in 6.5cm.
                          I've been looking online. I'm going to stop by Cabelas this weekend, so I'll see what they have in stock.
                          All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

My B14 action bergara is slick. Real slick almost to the point of a pure custom action. My Remington feels and sounds like your dragging a can across 80 grit sand paper. Never going back unless I haft too. The trigger is pretty nice as well. So you can save a 100 on not replacing the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                              I've been looking online. I'm going to stop by Cabelas this weekend, so I'll see what they have in stock.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn-

This is the Savage that I have that shoots so well: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...11356191298.do

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...dator%20Hunter)

Here are some of the Tikka CTR. I love the compact 20" barrel but the additional speed of the 24" barrel. It's more of a hybrid between traditional hunting and a true tactical stock. This is the rifle I'd get if you have any plans of turning this purchase into a semi-custom at some point down the road. The action is amazing and the trigger is plenty good for most guys' shooting.

Buy Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor online at GunBroker.com, the world's largest gun auction site. GunBroker.com has Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor for sale from thousands of trusted sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One gun not mentioned is the howa 1500, I bought one for about 620.00 with 24" heavy barrel and kryptek stock, out of the box trigger is nice. At 200 it's cutting same hole when I do my part with factory hornady and eld x bullet. Just got my dies and hope to see what it does farther out. It was between it and the ruger, didn't like the ruger stock, grip was way to small. Since you are an encore man, check out E Arthur Brown for barrels, I bought a target/varmint barrel from them for my encore in 6.5x55 swede. Awesome barrel. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X