• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put one on my Stealth.

Like it a bunch.
    Locks up well.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
      FYI - Josh over at Hog Saddle is offering a great budget tripod for $99 - http://stores.hogsaddle.com/slik-dx700pro-tripod-black/

I'm all about my Hog Saddle setup but I'm wondering why you feel the ball head would wear out faster with the M-Lok adapter mounted than it would with the Hog Saddle mounted to it? I mean, the recoil transmitted into the ball head, from a shot, should be the same whether it's transmitted through a saddle or a plate. I'm not understanding how my Hog Saddle would save my ball head over a M-Lok plate? I'm asking because I've been thinking about getting one for a quicker mounting solution on those rare occasions that I'm wanting to shoot a gas gun off my tripod.

So, I use my tripod setup for longer range shooting and I use a Bog Pod or Trigger Stick (tripod version) for stalks where I'm not going to shoot really far - like inside 300yds. My tripod (PRST w/ Sunwayfoto XB-52DL ball head and Hog Saddle) is about as light as you can get for the type of setup it is; but there's NO way I'd head of on a "stalk" with it deployed and in my hands. It's just too heavy and awkward. I generally carry it strapped to a backpack until I get to the location I want to setup as an overwatch for the game I'm hunting. If I need the stability of a setup like this, I'm looking at pretty long shots where I'm not likely to be rushed because of the distance involved. On the other hand, if I'm truly "stalking" game, I'm looking at sudden shot opportunities (where setup needs to be quick) that are usually not terribly far. In this case, the rapid deployment of a set of Trigger Sticks or even a BogPod is big advantage; and they're plenty stable (for me) on those shorter range shots.

Choice of a portable shooting rest really depends, IMO, on the type of shooting you're planning to do. Not just the distance you're shooting, but also the position (sitting, standing, prone) your likely to be using. I haven't found a 1-size-fits-all solution. I have several different setups (as mentioned) and I use them all. If I'm shooting cull deer for a ranch and watching a 700yd sendero, I'm going to use my Hog Saddle. Same thing if I'm calling coyotes in a big open field. But, if I'm going to hike into a small clearing where I know my longest shot is going to be 200yds, I'm going to take my BogPod or Trigger Sticks. If I'm walking and rattling deer in brush country, I'm taking my Trigger Sticks so I can stand and shoot.

I HATE monopods! I don't like them even for optics. I just can't get a useful level of stability and a 2-3 legged BogPod or Trigger Sticks is just not much heavier. Yet they provide about 10x the stability.

What kind of shots are you typically taking on a stalk? Distance and shooting position(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I believe it's the rubber in the hog saddle that helps with transferring recoil. If you haven't already, contact the owner of hog saddle. He's a really good dude and has tons of knowledge and science behind it. He's a former sniper. I was referring to the ball head you have, I've worn out 2 heads that come on slick tripods. The manfrotto xpro magnesium ball head was the best I used that was under $150, I used it with manfrotto 055XPRO tripod. The Sunwayfoto XB ball head is the one I like the most

Shadow Tech, LLC Sunwayfoto GNN XB-52DL Low Profile Tripod Ball Head with Duo-Lever Clamp Kit with Sunwayfoto DP-60R Universal Quick-Release Plate for Tripod Shooting
      Last edited by bermise; 06-18-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X