Whitetail Management, right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail Management, right now

As the season winds down, what are you doing right now to manage your herd?
    I’m making sure all protein feeders are full, clearing brush, trimming oaks.

About to start planting trees, apple, pear, persimmon, chestnut, and maybe some oaks. Soil test, lime, food plot in the not too distant future. I really need to work on the camp house as well, although that does nothing for the deer herd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

I might plant a few apple trees. Maybe some plum trees as well. Going to plant about 7 acres in the spring as well.

Comment

clearing spots or making brush piles to plant trees in. Fertilizing and trimming planted young trees and other young trees. Lots of timber stand improvement. There are so many cedars it seems never ending.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
          About to start planting trees, apple, pear, persimmon, chestnut, and maybe some oaks. Soil test, lime, food plot in the not too distant future. I really need to work on the camp house as well, although that does nothing for the deer herd.

How did you get the soil tested? I want to find out exactly what trees will grow best in my yard.

When no one else will stand, stand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by -ATX- View Post
            How did you get the soil tested? I want to find out exactly what trees will grow best in my yard.

Haven't done it yet, but just dig a little dirt from several spots in the yard, mix it, then bring it to M&J. they will either test it or send it to be tested. You get back a full analysis, telling you how much lime, what kind of fertilizer etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
              Haven't done it yet, but just dig a little dirt from several spots in the yard, mix it, then bring it to M&J. they will either test it or send it to be tested. You get back a full analysis, telling you how much lime, what kind of fertilizer etc.

Cool beans. I might not mix it though... Ever notice how much bigger the oaks are behind my shop compared to the oaks near the road? Like 4 times bigger... I would assume it's the soil?

Comment

Originally posted by -ATX- View Post
                Cool beans. I might not mix it though... Ever notice how much bigger the oaks are behind my shop compared to the oaks near the road? Like 4 times bigger... I would assume it's the soil?

Yes, I guess that's probably the only common denominator

Comment

I fertilized my best food plot today
                  Filled corn feeders to give them a treat.
                  Also put a protein block in both hog proof plots and in the feeder pen.
                  Filling protein feeder at lease in a couple weeks. Behind on that
                  Planning some hitch cutting very soon.
                  Couple more oaks to plant.

BP

Comment

We filled three of five protein feeders and hope to get the other two done this weekend. Starting to work on tractors and implements in anticipation of spring food plots. As usual we are hammering the cedars every chance we get. Cows got turned back out on the main part of the ranch last week.

Comment

Pretty simple, filling protein feeders.

Comment

Since I am getting older, I hope we have a wet year, good acorn crop and corn is cheap next September/October.

Comment

Cottonseed and hinge cutting hackberry (one of our more preferred species of browse where I hunt).

Comment

Going to shoot my does with MLD finally. I keep my protein feeders full year round so that is done as needed. Cut corn feeders back to a second or two twice per day after done with MLD doe. I have had my summer plots plowed since late July. Need spray them and drag them smooth in a about 2 months. Plow up my two oats plots and drag them. I am going to plant a mix of cowpeas and Sunn Hemp or seperate plots of each this year. Looks for sheds. Might experiment with WCS this year.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                              As the season winds down, what are you doing right now to manage your herd?
                              I’m making sure all protein feeders are full, clearing brush, trimming oaks.
                              Still hunting. Next month I will start fertilizing trees and browse. Taking down stands to be cleaned and painted and relocating some. Then will kill and plow the plot about April getting ready to put in some Soybeans. Might even buy a feeder and start feeding.

Comment

Working...
                              X