No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting excited. We will be rolling in to our camp in Colorado three weeks from today. Just two of us this year. Its a big private ranch but surrounded by hard to reach BLM and NF (Uncompahgre). The best hunting is on the public because its nasty and steep in alot of places and we have never seen another hunter on it.

This year we are hanging a Millennium tree stand over the wallow where I shot my bull last year. We go in early Sept and usually don't hear tons of bugling but we like to get there early and get the first crack at them.

Hopefully the labor day crowd will push some bulls our way from the easier to access public land.

Comment

Headed up September 15th. I have lost over 26 lbs since my elbow surgery in June. Walking four miles a night, averaging 5 nights a week, with a 50 lb pack, and on low carb Keto Diet. Hope to be around 194-195 by the 15th. 4th year in a row. Last year I went up too heavy and almost died.

The weather may be warm but the moon phase is going to be right on. Wishing the very best of luck and a safe trip to all our Elk Hunters!

Comment

Going on my first elk hunt this year in CO early sept and keep reading where everyone says it's warm. What's "warm"? Last year opening day was 95 degrees in Texas... And the average weather yearly september in CO shows lows around 30 and highs in the upper 60s, and that's not even at hunting elevation. Is that about what I should expect?

Comment

Man right now it's not warm. Heard we are supposed to have a cool fall

Comment

It's definitely not too warm. Yesterday it rained on me all day and I bet never made the 60° mark. So far everything is a muddy mess on the trails from all the rain and horse traffic. This is north of Pagosa Springs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scottr325 View Post
              headed to 80/81 for 10 days at the opener then going back the last week of archery if needed. Do you guys that backpack in hang your food? this is my 3rd trip and have hunted from camper the 1st 2 years, in effort to save the long steep climb in every morning I'm backpacking in and staying up there this year.

I'll be in 80/81 while you are gone. We get there the 10th and leave the 16th or 17th. I just got back from a week long vacation up there and it was BEAUTIFUL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I leave in 28 days!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  I'll be in 80/81 while you are gone. We get there the 10th and leave the 16th or 17th. I just got back from a week long vacation up there and it was BEAUTIFUL!

Nice you'll be between my trips I'm going back the 23rd-27th if no success the first go.

Comment

Comment

25 days til we head to 81. I'm ready already. I cannot wait!

Comment

jaker, is that your camp?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          jaker, is that your camp?

Yep that was our camp last year on our early mule deer and elk hunt. I loved that spot and can walk straight to it right now. I'll never forget it

Comment

4 hrs of work tomorrow tomorrow and I'm off for 13 days. Headed up to Utah for the elk archery opener. Super pumped

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                              Yep that was our camp last year on our early mule deer and elk hunt. I loved that spot and can walk straight to it right now. I'll never forget it

That looks like heaven. Do you pack in and head back to the truck to resupply or just haul everything and stay out in the back country? Got any more pics?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                That looks like heaven. Do you pack in and head back to the truck to resupply or just haul everything and stay out in the back country? Got any more pics?

We hiked in everything and stayed out for 9 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X