Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
    What was a bannerstone used for?
    X2 Read it Jbird and still not sure what its really used for.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

looks like mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
      Attached Files

Comment

I love this! Hooked!

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
          Notice the ground bases and difference in flaking. Here is an east texas scottsbluff. G 10 quality. Little over 2". Notice the patina from its age. The length gives it away to.

I knew that Scottsbluff looked familiar.

Comment

My collection over the years. What is it worth? Not perfect pieces but they are real

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
              I knew that Scottsbluff looked familiar.

http://whitesartifacts.com/Pristine.htm
              Never said it was mine. Used for a reference.

Comment

I have a folsom point that is 1.5" or so. Has anyone here found one of those before? I don't want to sell it but ive always wondered what is value is.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
                  I have a folsom point that is 1.5" or so. Has anyone here found one of those before? I don't want to sell it but ive always wondered what is value is.
                  PLEASE post a pic! I will give you a rough idea.

Comment

sorry for bad quality, iphone pic.

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
                      sorry for bad quality, iphone pic.
                      That is an interesting point but from the pic my opinion is that it is NOT folsum. I hope Im wrong as it would be quite valuable. I personally believe it is a much reworked and exhausted Clovis.

Does it look the same on the other side?

Comment

depending on the buyer you can go from a few hundred to a few thousand bucks. I rarely sell mine but a friend wanted a spear point I had....I traded him for his custom
                        .220 swift so around 4k in value.

Comment

Never said it was mine. Used for a reference.

LOL....I never thought you said it was yours. I just remember seeing pictures of it before...that's all.

Comment

He will carbon date and give a certificate of auth. You can get burned quick buying arrowheads. To many fakes out there, the guys who make them have it down to a tee!!! Temple show is full of them being sold as authentic.
                            Sorry, but Dwain cannot carbon date arrowheads, they have no carbon, he looks at the flaking patterns and the material and the wear. But, he is about the best around.

Comment

Ill take a picture of the other side when i get home this evening. It looks the same except there is a chip knocked out near the middle. When i was still in school at texas state i took a texas archaeology class. I took this point to the professor to get his opinion. I believe his name was Dr. Bousman. He kept it for a few weeks and told me after showing it to a few other experts they believed it was a folsum, and it was in the 10k year range. I dont know how they verify that. Clovis points are even older right, like 12k? From the first homosapiens in the americas. If it was a clovis wouldnt that be even cooler? Or are the Folsums more rare? I thought most of the clovis were larger.

Comment

The Clovis is a little older(some believe). It is definately an ancient point. Typically a Folsum is chipped straight across the bottom of the flute channel instead of just being concave.(look at the broken base posted earlier). Also the chipping style on Folsum is generally finer than Clovis. If this was a folsum, it would likely be about origional size.

The lack of symetry indicates a much used and resharpened point. I believe it is a clovis that has been resharpened many times and was origionally much longer. The flaking style is right for clovis also.

Now keep in mind, Im just looking at a pic on a forum so i could be wrong. At any rate it is a very old and rare point.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X