So I got a recurve, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have shot a recurve a few times and I finally found one that I thought I would try out. My whole family shoots Darton so I thought I would try and find a Darton recurve. I got an old Ranger and it is a 58" 40lb bow. I set up some old 400 spine arrows with 4" feathers and I am able to shoot it pretty good out to about 15 yds. This thing is a blast to shoot and I am glad I got the lower poundage bow to start out with.

I do not think I have the right spine for this set up and I am using 100 grain field points and the arrow is 30.5" long . I shoot a 31" dl on a compound and I am pulling this bow to anchor where my pointer finger touches the crease of my mouth.

What arrow set up should I be looking at for optimal performance with this set up?

600 spines, 125g or heavier point. Or maybe 500s if you want to go heavier points.
    Those 400s are definitely over- spined.
    I shoot right helical shield feathers. (Right handed)

Comment

Thanks. I will try out some 500 I am not sure I have any 600's in there

Comment

I shoot 500 spines and 150g points. 50# @ 28". Arrow cut 30" from insert to valley of nock.
        That gets me flying pretty true.

Comment

Ok I will tinker around and see what gets the best flight

Comment

Cool, best of luck. As you know it's a lot of fun.

Comment

If your draw length is still 31 (which I doubt, but it could be), you would be at 48-49# actual draw weight at your draw length. IF that is the case, the .400's could be made to work with somewhere between 200-300gr up front (insert/point combination). I have a 29"DL and shoot .400's with 225gr up front, and they tune perfectly for me. If your DL is any shorter, I would definitely think you will need to go to the .500's.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the fun side!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just started shooting a recurve and what I noticed is it magnifies any form flaws. Definitely be repetitive with your shooting process wants you get it figured out.
                Id try 600 spline, I went with the gold tip chart and it's way off. These guys on the trad side pointed me in the right direction and my bow is shooting great.

Acouple videos I'd recommend watching when you get a chance.
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-r1IqWjkKw&sns=em"]Traditional Archery Tips - YouTube[/ame]
                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs&sns=em"]The Push - A Traditional Archery Film - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                X