Which lens to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
    One thing to consider with a wide lens is if you really need it to be that fast, like a 2.8. It sounds like you will be shooting during daylight hours and shooting landscape you will be on the higher end, say F11, in order to get a greater depth of field. I am a Nikon shooter so cannot recommend a specific lens in the Canon line for you but I have the 16-35 VR F4 and I have never wished in a shooting situation that it went below F4. Also, if you are shooting landscapes you will probably be on a tripod anyway.
    Just something to think about as the faster the lens, the higher the price. One website you might check out if you have not already is KEH.com
    This lens will almost be exclusively used for astrophotography, mainly Milky Way shots, and some landscape. That's why I was really not wanting to get too far away from 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
      This lens will almost be exclusively used for astrophotography, mainly Milky Way shots, and some landscape. That's why I was really not wanting to get too far away from 2.8
      I have never done astrophotography so I am not familiar with how to shoot it. My initial thought is that you would want to close down your aperture as much as you can. School me on it as I would like to know more about it.

Comment

Are you talking astro or night sky photography. I know many shooting astrophotography use apertures in the f8 area. Several years ago I had a couple of nice telescopes and was going to get into astrophotography until I learned I had to stay up most of the night and that was before the processing.

Comment

I have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and it produces great results. I recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            Do you have any photos to share from the Tokina or links where I could see some shots from it?

Comment

I do. Give me a day or so.

Comment

Toking

Casey - that lens will fit on your full frame canon?

Comment

Do you have any photos to share from the Tokina or links where I could see some shots from it?
                  Here a few of mine over the years.
                  Flickr Tokina

Originally posted by jdma View Post
                  Casey - that lens will fit on your full frame canon?
                  No. It will not. I use(d) it on my 50D and my 7D. It really is a nice lens.

Comment

Here a few of mine over the years.
                    Flickr Tokina

Those look great Casey!! Thank ya!

Comment

I love my Tokina 11-16. Here are some of the shots I've taken with it.

Backyard Annole by Chris, on Flickr

Backyard Moonflower by Chris, on Flickr

Moonrise at Lake Fannin by Chris, on Flickr

Rainy Night at Octoberfest by Chris, on Flickr

USS Lexington by Chris, on Flickr

Backyard Lightning by Chris, on Flickr

Iridium Flare by Chris, on Flickr

Comment

I have the Tokina 16-28 2.8 and absolutely love it for landscape/general shooting. I picked mine up at Precision in Austin a few years ago.

Comment

Casey are you certain your Tokina won't physically fit your 5D3? When I was recently looking for a wide angle lens, I found out that some people buy the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 to use on full frame cameras. (And now that includes me.) It can only be used at 15 or 16mm without vignetting, but for the price point, I was fine with that limitation. I haven't really used it all that much yet, but for the limited time I have, it's worked fine on my Canon 5D3 and I've been pleased with the the photos I've taken with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                            Casey are you certain your Tokina won't physically fit your 5D3? When I was recently looking for a wide angle lens, I found out that some people buy the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 to use on full frame cameras. (And now that includes me.) It can only be used at 15 or 16mm without vignetting, but for the price point, I was fine with that limitation. I haven't really used it all that much yet, but for the limited time I have, it's worked fine on my Canon 5D3 and I've been pleased with the the photos I've taken with it.
                            I have not even tried it. With 2 versions of the 16-35mm I don't think I'll get much use out of it at that limitation.

I am intrigued, though, as I didn't realize it might work on the FF cameras. I'll test it out when I get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                              That's the camera I have as well. It seems like that lens would be good for taking pictures of the home interiors to get that wide angle. What is your thought

Comment

I have not even tried it. With 2 versions of the 16-35mm I don't think I'll get much use out of it at that limitation.

I am intrigued, though, as I didn't realize it might work on the FF cameras. I'll test it out when I get the chance.
                                Casey does the 16-35 get wide enough in the landscape? I know the Tokina on a 1.6 crop body would be a little over 17mm so I have to assume the 16 on a FF would be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X