AR assembly - tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR assembly - tools?

Looking in Midway, they have a $99 Wheeler kit that has the vise block, roll punches, torque wrench, and a multi tool that serves as the barrel but and stock wrenches. One review says that the multi tool isn't designed for a free float hand guard barrel nut.

Should I just buy the tools individually? The kids and I are doing a 300BO SBR as a fun project and I want to make sure we don't have to stop once we start. The only parts I have left to obtain are the Samson 7.6 inch hand guard and the barrel nut. All other parts, including ATF stamps, are in hand and waiting to get built.

What do y'all recommend?

That will work. Personally I have been more satisfied sourcing my tools from different places.

*Wheeler Fat Wrench for torquing things
    *Magpul vise block (worth its weight in gold if you ask me): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...5-action-block
    *Punches from amazon
    *Armorers wrench from I don't remember where
    *etc

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      That will work. Personally I have been more satisfied sourcing my tools from different places.

*Magpul vise block (worth its weight in gold if you ask me): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...5-action-block

*Punches from amazon

*etc

Thanks. I'm not overly worried about saving a buck, because there's a good likelihood we may build an AR-10 next. The tools will get used more than once. Buy once cry once on tools. I just don't know what all is actually needed vs what is optional. Thought the Wheeler kit might be good to get us started but don't want to regret it if the tools aren't quality or are a PITA to use

Comment

Get a good Vise and sturdy bench.

Magpul Armorers wrench, or the Tapco(green one)

Magpul Bev Block

Good Punch set - Brownells has them

Good Brass hammer and ball pein hammer(if you have to hit something hard to get it started)

.....and a few extra spring and small parts kits

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post

*Punches from amazon
          *etc
          I went this route with tools as well.

I also added this thing to the mix...
          Wheeler® Engineering AR Armorer's Bench Block

Possibly a gas block punch/tool...

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post

Possibly a gas block punch/tool...
            Yes x1000. This is something I still don't have and really should just go buy. It's a total PITA to punch out a gas block without one.

Comment

Other than the $70 Magpul wrench, are there any wrenches that are better than most? Just not sure I want to drop that much on a wrench just yet. I'd like to finish this build and see how it goes.

Comment

I would get some of these. Makes lining up the gas block a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                  I would get some of these. Makes lining up the gas block a breeze.

https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/...ligner-5-56mm/
                  Those are awesome

Comment

In addition to the above, a really handy tool is the Little Crow Gunworks bolt catch tool. It is REALLY easy to ding up your lower trying to get that little roll pin started and seated while trying to hold everything in alignment up under spring pressure.

Little Crow Gunworks developed the World's Finest Trimmer as a precision tool that will last a lifetime. One of the unique features is that the WFT uses a source of power that most reloaders already own.

Comment

Originally posted by jcl View Post
                      Get a good Vise and sturdy bench.

Magpul Armorers wrench, or the Tapco(green one)

Magpul Bev Block

Good Punch set - Brownells has them

Good Brass hammer and ball pein hammer(if you have to hit something hard to get it started)

.....and a few extra spring and small parts kits

This is the best list of tools. Add the wheeler bench block and you have all you need. You do not "need" any of the other tools listed. A pair of vise grips with electrical tape on the jaws is all you need for mar-free installation of the bolt catch. YouTube can show you how to align a gas block. I use a business card to draw a reference line and a set of calipers to do a little measuring. I have probably done 50+ with a tape measure, though. Yet to have one misaligned.

This list is quality stuff. Buy once, cry once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in the woodlands if you need a hand, i have all the tools needed for an AR15 and an AR 10.. give me a shout I'm happy to help if you get stuck or just wanna BS and build some guns!

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                          I'm in the woodlands if you need a hand, i have all the tools needed for an AR15 and an AR 10.. give me a shout I'm happy to help if you get stuck or just wanna BS and build some guns!

^^THIS^^ is a great offer and the best way to go if you're just going to build one or two. The specialty tools are not needed, as I mentioned before, but that doesn't mean they aren't handy - if you have them. No sense buying a bunch of tools to build 1 or 2 rifles when someone is offering to let you use their tools.

Very cool rosco11!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post

I appreciate the offer! An AR-10 is next for sure, and it would be fun to get everything together and hang out and build some guns.

I wasted Cabelas points on the Wheeler Essentials Kit. Multi tool is crap, tore up a barrel nut and had to order a replacement. I didn't use anything else in the kit except the torque wrench and vise block. At least it was Cabelas points and not cash. I did get some nice punches and a bolt catch installation punch set. Well worth it.

Got a little reading and saving to do on the AR-10, but I will give you a shout when I'm ready to start building!

Comment

Blue painters tape. A must when driving in the bolt catch roll pin. Way too easy to nick up the receiver. Tape it up good to protect it when hitting. Get yourself roll pin punches. The kind with the flat side so it does not come in contact with receiver when driving the pin. Way to easy to scratch up a AR when building.
                              Pretty satisfying when you assemble a gun, from scratch... and it goes bang. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X