No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a word of the wise. Hunt away from any ATV trail or two track out there. It can be a war zone...

Comment

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
      Just a word of the wise. Hunt away from any ATV trail or two track out there. It can be a war zone...

Is there a story behind this?

I've hunted out there for several years and where I frequented I knew the other 2 hunters that were regulars and my other spot I only saw 2 guys besides me the entire season and they were from outta state and used to be stationed here years back after they moved away. Beisdes that I always expect it to be a little busier the first 2wks of the season then it always dies down.

Comment

I am planig a trip out there at the end of the month.

Comment

Well, really it depends on WHERE you go. I was up on the Dove Creek stretch last year and the ATVs were relentless, but I didn't notice any being heeled. Haven't even gone out there this year. Out at 12 mile I've had buckshot pass within close proximity (I could feel the vibration and hear the buzz) and a friend of mine had a run in with a couple guys, one packing an assault shotgun, the other a glock; in the archery season. I've only taken 2 deer out of there in the years I've hunted it, but at least its hunting. My brother inlaw, still at 12 mile, had a pellet strike the fence post where he was crossing. He hit the ground in a defensive posture. We decided that was about enough.

I've seen quite a few quail hunters out there too. Which is fine, but their dogs tend to shut the deer movement down.

Comment

Just an update of our recent weeks hunting:

Deer movement with the full moon has been slow in the EVENINGS.

Deer have been moving quite well around Unit 4 area in the early mornings and close around bedding areas well into the late mornings (11am)

Rattling for me didn't produce anything, YET, but scent lures continue to work pretty well.

Saturday morning we put 2 deer down. Nothing big though to speak of. Just meat in the freezer.

I did see one good size little 125 buck around mid-morning.

Comment

I have an invitation to go hunting at TBR after Thanksgiving, but I have heard the City Park Patrol is enforcing the obscure TXDOT rule for a safety certificate for ATV riders and threaten a $500 fine. Parks and Wildlife only require the ATV be registered. I live in East Texas and before I make the trip would appreaciate some insight on the matter. Thanks.

Comment

Don't hurt to do some walking every now and then...

Comment

Originally posted by soundman View Post
                  I have an invitation to go hunting at TBR after Thanksgiving, but I have heard the City Park Patrol is enforcing the obscure TXDOT rule for a safety certificate for ATV riders and threaten a $500 fine. Parks and Wildlife only require the ATV be registered. I live in East Texas and before I make the trip would appreaciate some insight on the matter. Thanks.
                  Our local Park Police are jerks and love to hassle people. If you access hunting areas that do not have a public park as the main entrance then you should be fine. Cindy the local game warden will not hassle you at all. so you can enter at pretty much any Unit except the main Twin Buttes Reservoir/camp ground off hwy 67 without getting any hassle, and even then I bet they are only checking the guys using the Off-road trail section parking lot anyway. Ask whoever told ya this info where they were when asked to the ATV CERT.

Also like to apologize for us having such idiots for Park Police. They have been doing MUCH more harm than good around here the last couple years harrassing visitors and locals alike around our county parks and lakes. During the past summer they did a fine job of running off half our usual tourists/boaters and have put some of the local lake businesses in jepordy because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdynamic View Post
                    I went to TBR unit 1 Saturday afternoon and set up on a trail leading to the river. About 5:15 some guys showed up on the west side of the river and started dove hunting. They shot until 6:30 and then cranked up the stereo and partied. I was set up at TBR unit 3 Sunday morning when two pick up trucks barrelled down the trail just before 8:00 and started making noise all around me.
                    Lesson learned: go to TBR during the week when everyone else is at work.

Thanks to SanAngeloBowman for his hospitality.
                    Like to make a point here....the area where those people were making noise across the river is the infamous Unit 2 that I always warn to avoid because of the heavy weekend traffic in there. It was unfortunate it happend while Arrowdynamic was in town, but since Dove season has closed things are MUCH quieter on weekends around here which is the norm.

Comment

Can someone provide me an idea were the camping at the buttes is located. Not the state park but the reservoir. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by SPANISH GRINGO View Post
                        Can someone provide me an idea were the camping at the buttes is located. Not the state park but the reservoir. thank you.

You CAN camp anywhere you want, but I would recommend camping at the main reservoir /boat ramp/ campground entrance (Twin Buttes Marina Park Dr.) off HWY67 just 3 miles outside of town passed the super WALMART. It is the road that appears on the MAP above right at the very top between UNIT 6 & 7 with the "Loop" on the end. Thats the camping area at the endalong the loop. That way you are very close to stores, food, supplies, Academy Sport, etc. Turn off Hwy at the Town & Country convenience store and Gas station. I wouldn't bother hunting around there though, unless you have a 4 wheeler and go WAY back in UNIT 6 along the far reaches of the river. Your gear will be safer there because of all the activity and traffic around there but it will be a waste of time hunting around all that noise.

Do you have a 4 wheeler? or you hunting on foot? UNit 5 is foot traffic only and doesn't get hunted much. I haven't seen any trucks parked there at all this entire week+
                        Unit 4 can be good and is close by the campground. My ranch is right next to that unit and I can give ya some pointers and where to look.

PM me if ya want to cruise around there or need more info. I'll send ya my cell number. I need a change of scenery anyway. I've heard alot more people shooting deer off on public land than we have lately
                        Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 11-26-2008, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I hunt on foot only. I like the excercise. I will be hunting unit 5 only and concentrating there. That way I can start to learn some patterns and maybe get lucky. I will be going out there Friday and stay until Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by SPANISH GRINGO View Post
                            Thanks for the information. I hunt on foot only. I like the excercise. I will be hunting unit 5 only and concentrating there. That way I can start to learn some patterns and maybe get lucky. I will be going out there Friday and stay until Sunday.
                            Hey I work Friday, Unless I can get off in the AM. But i'm off Sat-Tues. this weekend. I wouldn't mind hangin' around there with ya if ya want some company. Across the hwy around the river in Unit 4 looks pretty good too. Send me your cell number and I'll call ya tomorrow so we can meet up. My ranch is about 2 miles from Unit5.

Rob

Comment

Rob, Thank you again for the information about the unit. Too bad we could not meet up this weekend. Maybe next time. The places to hunt are really good, but from what I noticed they get a lot of presure in some areas. It was nice seeing that wide eight. Nothing came in within shooting rate, but at least we got to see some deer.

Comment

public hunting

hey everyone just joined the site . i noticed the info about the hunting in san angelo me and a friend went down there the 22-24 of nov and had no luck we were planning to go back but were looking for more info about all the places to hunt we had a map we got from a bait store showing all the areas but were interested in lV & V any help would be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X