Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you quail hunt this place??
    Is it open for spring turkey??
    I used to quail hunt at the park a few years back. Never knew about TBR.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
      Can you quail hunt this place??
      Is it open for spring turkey??
      I used to quail hunt at the park a few years back. Never knew about TBR.
      Yes on Quail and Turkey. Deer movement has picked up quite a bit. Most of my deer have been coming in in the last 45 mins in the EVENING. Find the THICKEST cover closest to water and ya should do fine.

Comment

Unit V

Not much deer movement, and it looks pretty dry. I had to cut out early because my gf had a family emergency down in Houston. BUT not before I took a couple of nice gobblers for thanksgiving!

I also found this nice shed, though everyone I talked to in San Angelo tells me its small compared to one they saw or their cousin shot, or whatever, its still a shooter in my book, and lurking around that unit:

I also found a whole bunch of baiting going on, bait buckets in the ground and in the trees and permanent blinds all over the place, and an ol' boy who drove over the fence, baited turkey, and left a bunch of pepsi bottles behind when he drove out. You would think there was deer, but IMO that unit is mostly fringe habitat -- not core territory, except for maybe right by the river. BTW: anyone who wants an abandoned double bull matrix blind, get over to the NW corner of this unit. It's been there since archery season, along with a hanging bucket feeder.

I drove around Unit 1 and could NOT find any way in -- just exactly as San Angelo Bowman warned me I would. So next time I am there, I will definitely have to look you up, bro! Unit 2 was closed down due to human remains being found.
        This was my first time out to San Angelo, and I want to say y'all were super friendly awesome people and you have a great town! Hopefully I can get back before the general season is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nativerat View Post
          Not much deer movement, and it looks pretty dry. I had to cut out early because my gf had a family emergency down in Houston. BUT not before I took a couple of nice gobblers for thanksgiving!

I also found this nice shed, though everyone I talked to in San Angelo tells me its small compared to one they saw or their cousin shot, or whatever, its still a shooter in my book, and lurking around that unit:

I also found a whole bunch of baiting going on, bait buckets in the ground and in the trees and permanent blinds all over the place, and an ol' boy who drove over the fence, baited turkey, and left a bunch of pepsi bottles behind when he drove out. You would think there was deer, but IMO that unit is mostly fringe habitat -- not core territory, except for maybe right by the river. BTW: anyone who wants an abandoned double bull matrix blind, get over to the NW corner of this unit. It's been there since archery season, along with a hanging bucket feeder.

I drove around Unit 1 and could NOT find any way in -- just exactly as San Angelo Bowman warned me I would. So next time I am there, I will definitely have to look you up, bro! Unit 2 was closed down due to human remains being found.
          This was my first time out to San Angelo, and I want to say y'all were super friendly awesome people and you have a great town! Hopefully I can get back before the general season is out.

yA MAN, that'd be great. I been wanting to get out there anyway. I get tired of hunting my place all the time. Glad ya got ya some turkey's. I told ya there's tons of them. Which unit did you get those from?

BAITING IS VERY MUCH LEGAL at TBR and leaving permanent blinds out there is acceptable too. There are tons of them out there. The Gravity (bucket) feeder thing is so popular around that lake that the deer won't come into the mechanical feeders nearly as much on our ranch, so a couple of us have gone to hanging buckets even on our LEASE and we see 10x as many deer as the other 2 guys.

Comment

I knew baiting was OK at OC Fisher, but I guess I thought it was no-go at TBR. I stand corrected. I took those two toms in Unit V, and their crops were full of bait corn, green grass, and hoppers. I also forgot to mention someone is running a little herd of goats in that unit, so be careful if you are shooting in the twilight hours at what you think is a little doe.

Comment

My bow and two rifle where stolen yesterday from my house. So I may not make the hunt around thanksgiving, but I intend on coming back as soon as I can get another bow. When I do I would like to meet anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by stonesmokey View Post
                Hunted Angelo State Park a few weeks ago. Saw several doe all out of range. Looking for any advice. Unit 1 and & 7 seem to be most promising, I only hunted 7. Is Twin Buttes rifle hunted if not would like to try there next time I come to Angelo. What units are best/less crowded? Heard it gets pretty crazy out there? Thanks Stoney

Unit 7is one of the most accessable areas and you can even drive a passanger car through there as a shortcut to get to "Gassy Meadows" (Middle Concho Park) I don't know anyone that hunts there (ever) plus the area around the dam/spillway is the designated 4x4 offroad park region and can get very busy on weekends. I wouldn't really waste my time around there. Go down the road to Unit 6 and go way back as far as you can reach or Unit 4 if you are on that side of the lake. Unit 1 is great but w/o someone to show you how to get into it and where to head once in there....you'll never find it.

Comment

Does anyone have a link for information regarding hunting at Twin Buttes. What type of permit do I need? What are the dates?
                  thanks in advance.

Comment

No permit is needed to hunt Twin Buttes. Just a hunting license.

Comment

In my experience hunting out at the "Buttes", which is what we always reffered to it as, I hunted deer, dove, ducks and quail. Not very successful with the quail. There is a bunch of them out there but they are wild and will not stay put when running dogs.

We put the hurt on the duck population while I was there. We killed our fair share of dove as well.

My buddies and I probably killed ten deer off the place in 4 years. We saw a bunch of good deer while hunting just never could close the deal. We had encounters with 130 class deer and found the sheds of one of them (132" ten)

Best advice I could give is to hunt the back end of the place near the boys ranch, Unit V on the map. It is best to come in near the boys ranch as well. Its a rough ride and back then you would have to go out the boys ranch entrance anyway. I am sure if that has changed yet or not. I found that the hunting pressure was about half as much on the front side (near the dam). This was about two years ago and things probably have changed.

Unit one is where I did most of my hunting because it was at the time not hunted but anyone but about 5 to 10 people that I knew of. Most of the turkeys I saw on the place were at the very back of the Unit 1 in the Pecan bottom. The neighbor had plowed up the field right across the fence and planted with oats and such. There was a bunch of deer movement in the back as well. You could also seal yourself off from the rest of the place and use your truck as a road block. Most people would not go by your truck but we had a few a-holes that did during prime time but its to be expected.

We also had some encounters with Javi's near the boys ranch and in Unit 1 as well. A few were killed on the place while I was there.

Comment

Good info Dustin, thanks for sharing. I believe you meant Unit 4 by the Boys Ranch (Check map at beginning of this thread) My ranch is at the end of that road (fm2166) Unit 5 is down the road off of hwy 67 just before the 12 mile bridge and is a walk-in only unit. Yes Unit 1 is awsome if ya get way back to where the pecan trees are (and the river splits) You have done your homework VERY few people I know even have found that spot. Most don't want to take there trucks through that really thick stuff that ya run into about halfway back on the way in, but the payoff is worth the trouble if you see the scrape lines through the trees just passed there before ya run back into the fence line again I'm sure you know where I'm talking about.

NOW...here's the kicker(?) did ya know that they are done with that HUGE 12-15K sq ft hunting lodge thats off in the distance and boarders most of that Unit? Yep, and they are HIGH FENCING along that whole fenceline back there keeping all those big bucks that would bed down on the other side from coming into there traditional watering spots Only deer access will be from the dam area OR maybe way back as far as ya can go by the back fence next to the river. I don't think they own that stretch where the farm fields and cows are back there. May be they will fence out some of those nice deer into that small concentrated stretch back there eh? I filled half my tags back there last year and the year before.
                        Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nativerat View Post
                          I knew baiting was OK at OC Fisher, but I guess I thought it was no-go at TBR. I stand corrected. I took those two toms in Unit V, and their crops were full of bait corn, green grass, and hoppers. I also forgot to mention someone is running a little herd of goats in that unit, so be careful if you are shooting in the twilight hours at what you think is a little doe.
                          The ranch to the south from Unit 5 runs goats. They probably got out and made it over there cause ALL of TBR public land is leased from the government by our rancher (Cal Mc Gowan) for cattle grazing. The 400 acres we lease from him next to Unit 4 is where he loads/unloads his cows. We have stock pens/chutes by our front gate. But every cow in every Unit out there is his. They get moved around periodically (like opening day of rifle season ) One has already been shot by some idiot, so please be careful. You see a goat that doesn't belong...well accidents do happen

Comment

Didn't know about the high fence but I knew it was coming sooner or later.

Yes I meant unit IV I just forgot the roman numberal.

I will also let on a little secret of mine that I started hunting hard after sighting a 130 class coming over the dam every morning and afternoon.
                            There is a stretch of land that is on the Buttes side of the dam that ranges from 100 yards wide then narrows down as it runs into the south pool. When I asked the game warden if this place was legal to hunt he said no. I am not sure if he knew exactly where I was talking about but he probably did. I am guessing there is an easement of some sort aquirred during construction and you are not allowed to hunt it. Atleast this was my understanding.

Anyway, during constructin they dumped gravel over the the big rocks so the deer would have a quick access to the water. The EQ is only about waste deep in some areas and you can wade across and get to this piece of land.

You don't have to set foot on the land just below the dam. Depending on the level of the lake there should be about 30 yards of dry, flooded (at times) timber, thick with some clearings and is heavily traveled by deer on their way to water. A little bit of hand corn will stop them just long enough for a shot. I killed two doe this way. I had the buck I was hunting within 10 yards looking at me head on so I never got a chance to draw. The best thing to do is use a boat because from experience it a chore to float a deer across the EQ and then drag it to your truck.

Comment

sounds very interesting. I've seen many deer while kayaking down river FROM Garner dam towards South Pool on the EAST side river as well. Look at the map and it's that little thin strip between the river and that thin inlet. Is that where you are talking about? Maybe I'm confused (I've been doing homework this AM, brain hurts ) Or are ya talking about that area east of the dam and between the fence line on your way in before ya come to the end of the dam? I know THAT area is NOT supposed to be hunted but there are several people that DO bowhunt it and the GW seems to not enforce it. I've ran up on many deer at all times of day there on my way out but never hunted it myself. Unless you had a map in hand you would never know it was not part of the hunting boundry anyway.

We oughta get together sometime when your in town and go cruise around out there. You're the only other person I've come across that seems to REALLY know the in's n outs of Unit 1.

BTW....all that land by the Boys Ranch next to Unit 4 right where it says FM2166 on the map (kinda hexagon shaped with long point stickin' out right side) is my deer lease.
                              Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Yes it is the little strip betweent he river and that inlet...

Comment

Working...
                                X