Buying property for hunting/retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying property for hunting/retirement

So I have a wild hair up my cone maker and I'm currently looking at some tracts in Real Co north and west of Leakey that border large low fence ranches. One is btw FM336 and 83 while the other is north of FM336W and about 8miles east of the Nueces River and FM335. Any of you land barons own and/or hunt this area? Both tracts I'm looking at have seasonal creeks with heavy cover. Both are in the mid 30ac range. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I’m just wondering how it comes out in a cone shape

Comment

I will tell you this. It gets boring hunting on your own little hunting spot. You learn every deer and it becomes a point where you don’t hunt there and go elsewhere. If it is just a place to retire and build and home on then go for it if it is the area you and your wife want to live. Me I think I’m going to travel and hunt all over in a few years when I retire. I want a small place on the coast with a rock lawn. Someplace I can lick up and leave for months and not worry about grass etc. each to their own

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
        I’m just wondering how it comes out in a cone shape
        Once you buy land in Texas it comes out In Bowling balls

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          I will tell you this. It gets boring hunting on your own little hunting spot. You learn every deer and it becomes a point where you don’t hunt there and go elsewhere. If it is just a place to retire and build and home on then go for it if it is the area you and your wife want to live. Me I think I’m going to travel and hunt all over in a few years when I retire. I want a small place on the coast with a rock lawn. Someplace I can lick up and leave for months and not worry about grass etc. each to their own
          I agree with this, at least in part. I bought 217 acres an hour away from me around ten years ago. It was lots of fun (and work) getting it set up like I wanted it. Now, I'm kinda bored with it and I find myself wanting to do it better somewhere else. I learned a lot in the process and I'd like one more shot at it while I'm still on the topside of the ground.

If you do buy such a small place, study it carefully before you start changing things. Take into consideration the prevailing wind during hunting season and how you're gonna get into and out of your stands without getting busted. I think that's the biggest mistake people make.

Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I agree with this, at least in part. I bought 217 acres an hour away from me around ten years ago. It was lots of fun (and work) getting it set up like I wanted it. Now, I'm kinda bored with it and I find myself wanting to do it better somewhere else. I learned a lot in the process and I'd like one more shot at it while I'm still on the topside of the ground.

If you do buy such a small place, study it carefully before you start changing things. Take into consideration the prevailing wind during hunting season and how you're gonna get into and out of your stands without getting busted. I think that's the biggest mistake people make.

Good luck !
            100% on all accounts. 10 years seems to be where most want to see something else (hunting wise) if it’s “home” that’s different.

And agree set up for deer.. not convenient hunting. I believe it’s the reason for most failed hunts.

Also don’t count on anything in that area of size to remain low fences much longer. Neighbors are probably on a waiting list, or new buyer in 2-3 years will. Just a matter of time

Comment

Working...
            X