Lease cost going up .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
    Leasing will be the death of hunting. No way I'd ever pay the prices asked for a lease just to sit in the same stand all season for tiny Texas deer.
    Oh no you didn't use the word tiny talking about Texas deer did you?

Comment

supply/demand

as long as the US/TX population keeps rising, people will need places to live. less land, less access, price increases.. that said, i bought my own land 5 yrs ago... only 150ac, not big deer at all, but my wife and daughter love it... i no longer hunt horns, i pig/dove hunt and drink/cook while they hunt. i do coon and rat eradication. we still eat plenty of wild game, but don't put 'em on the walls anymore

Comment

Man, I am always surprised when someone here ask a question like yours. Everyone on here has an opinion but the only one that counts is yours. It is your money, your time, your investment and no one posting about your question is going to pay it for you!!!!! Do what you feel is right and don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.

Comment

All three of my leases went up a good bit this season. The biggest was about 20%. I was told it just got me in line with what the average cost of other leases around me are.

Comment

Lease prices are crazy, but when I look at it as a land owner I would never let a bunch of strangers run all over my land for only $6000 a year.

Comment

I guess erbody needs to learn to be better poachers. Only cost if'n ya get caught

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                Lease prices are crazy, but when I look at it as a land owner I would never let a bunch of strangers run all over my land for only $6000 a year.
                x10000000

Comment

AMEN! Id end up in jail!

Comment

Whew, I would! If I wasn’t going to hunt it, 6k tax free would be a no brainer.

Comment

Certainly would not be any strangers on my place ( if i owned a place ) but 6k would get a hand full of friends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                        Someone offered him that much and he gave you the chance to match or move on.
                        Probaby exactly right...We were on a lease in Mason years ago..paying 400 each...time to reup land owner said he was offered 1200 each by some Lousinia.. hunters ...We could pay that and stay...We all left...A few years later I ran into Land owner ( he said he wished he would kept us at 400..them guys shot out ranch and tore up more stuff and had trash and beer cans everywhere...)

Comment

I don't think its the hunting lease as an institution in Texas that will harm hunting. It's been around here for far too long, many generations, without doing any harm. The problems are coming from high fence operations and good ol greed. Before too long hunting will be a sport for the landowners and wealthy if some kind of correction doesn't take place.

Comment

I hunted a place in what I would call coastal south texas, south of Beeville. It was a large ranch 45000 ac or so divided up into 2500 to 3000 acre pastures leased by different groups. I was strictly managed by the ranch and the hunters, including a game biologist. When I started hunting it was about the start of the strict management, there were hardly any quality deer.

Here's the kicker, after nine years of letting deer walk that you would have killed anywhere else because they weren't o.k. to shoot in the management deal, the ranch goes way up because the deer quality was so much better now than 9 years ago.

So we passed deer, fed protein year round and then got priced out because the "ranch" could get a better price because there were better deer. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                              Whew, I would! If I wasn’t going to hunt it, 6k tax free would be a no brainer.
                              Unless your ranch was operating as a 501(c)(3), exactly how would the lease payments you received be tax free? Or are you saying that you would take the money and not report it to the IRS?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Why because prices increase?
                                I pay about $1000 a year on hunting.

Even if I did have the money for a lease, I still would not do it.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Working...
                                X