X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    Correct, you are not allowed to use dogs even for tracking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Might wanna check with the GW, and Park Ranger. I was told it wasn't something they wanted to advertise, but it's kinda crazy to not extend every tool in recovering a wounded animal.

Comment

I am interested in hunting Amistad with a partner that is familiar with the area. I’m not completely new to Amistad and have seen a lot of the hunt areas from the water. Anybody going to make a trip out there in the near future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
        I am interested in hunting Amistad with a partner that is familiar with the area. I’m not completely new to Amistad and have seen a lot of the hunt areas from the water. Anybody going to make a trip out there in the near future?

I might be out there at the end of January, or middle of Feb. I would say hunt area 4 or 5, but go in by boat.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Let me know if you would like some company. I have some time off from 16-22 in Jan and after the 5th of Feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
            I don't think you can use a dog at Amistad.
            You can for duck hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              You can for duck hunting.
              Did you make it back out? Any luck out there? Seems like there is still good deer movement in some areas of the county.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Did you make it back out? Any luck out there? Seems like there is still good deer movement in some areas of the county.
                I'm embarrassed to report we had plenty of deer movement but no connections. Every buck I have ever shot at out there has completely ducked my arrow so I finally decided I'd overcome my mental block and start aiming low just underneath them. So nice clean 30 yard shot I aim low, and the deer just stands there looking at me so my slick trick slams into the rocks under/behind him and he runs off. Fast forward a couple days and I get another opportunity, this time I'm sitting there staring at the clouds and hear a rock kick over, look over and a small buck is standing in my shooting lane 30 yards away kinda casually looking at me. I freeze, he stares for a minute then bounces over and down the hill right in front of a bush I'd ranged at 42 yards. No problemo! Put my 40 yard pin on him and let it fly... uhhh forgot to account for the steep downhill angle and it went over his back. I knew immediately after I released I messed up. 20 minutes later my wife gets a shot at a spike that she misjudged the yardage for, she had all the bushes marked for distance and mistook the 30 yard bush he was standing by for the 20 yard bush. That evening I hunted a different spot for a fresh start, heard chewing behind me and turn to my right to find a decent tall 8 point walking out from behind me... only problem he was about 3 yards away and if I were holding an arrow could have literally touched him with it if I leaned over just a tad. He stood there next to me for a full legitimate 2 minutes as I was afraid to breathe and scared to death. He was looking out over this flat I was hunting before he walked out into it, drool string hanging down from the corner of his lip and I could see the muscles flexing in his jaw though he wasn't chewing he was kind of grinding his teeth or something. For a moment I thought wow he might actually walk past me far enough that if I get a plane to fly over or a train goes by I could draw back and get a shot. Right about then he casually starts looking around, looks to his right looks down and casually looks over at me... then he does the "chicken head" and I swear he jumped like a kangaroo doing a backflip probably 10 yards out in a single dead leap and he was gone gone gone flames coming from the bottom of his hooves as he bolted away lol. Our other buddy got busted several times in a row over in his spot and I guess he got tired of it so walked around a bit without any opportunities presenting themselves.

edit: Oh, about the jumping the string/ducking thing. Neither of the deer I shot at moved at all when I let them fly this time. After my last trip I switched my arrows out from FOB's to NAP Hellfire fletching. It's looking like the FOB's air noise may have been the culprit for all the ducks I've experienced in the past. I wish I would have tried changing them out sooner as 3 years ago I let one fly at a real nice buck that did the "Bambi on ice" belly to the floor before my arrow flew over him.
                Last edited by justletmein; 12-20-2017, 01:39 AM.

Comment

^^^^ Nothing to be embarrassed about. Sounds like there was a lot of action out there. Sadly, my back continues to keep me from going out there so it's been a forgettable season for me.

Comment

Any mouflon showing back up? Heading there tomorrow.
                    Last edited by gemini2759; 12-27-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                      Any mouflon showing back up? Heading there tomorrow.
                      Last time I talked to the family, they said they were sticking to the creek bottoms

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        ^^^^ Nothing to be embarrassed about. Sounds like there was a lot of action out there. Sadly, my back continues to keep me from going out there so it's been a forgettable season for me.
                        Pm sent.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

We allowed to shoot axis? Saw some does today. Brown with white spots.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                            We allowed to shoot axis? Saw some does today. Brown with white spots.

Didn’t know there were axis that far out there?

And as a exotic I would imagine so

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post

^^

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post

I had never seen Axis deer at Amistad. They are not on the list but I don't see why not, they are exotics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X