Idaho black bear of a lifetime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idaho black bear of a lifetime!

Just got back from Idaho early this morning from my first black bear hunt. My buddy and I went up there with an outfitter outside of Lewiston in search of our first black bears with a bow. Neither one of us had ever hunted in that area, nor have we ever hunted bear, and this place was absolutely beautiful. After the short 15 hour drive from Vegas we arrived, only to hear our "guide" ask us if we were hunting that evening. We got in around 10:30am and it was my understanding when booking the trip that we were to hunt the first afternoon. He didn't seem prepared for us but said he could make it work. (we later looked at their schedule and we were scheduled to hunt that afternoon) We unloaded our gear into the little cabin/shack that was our home for the next 4 nights. The accommodations were poor but we didn't care because it's a hunting trip and we were both excited. After looking at some trail cam pics and getting pointers on what to look for in a shooter bear and shot placement, we headed to the bait site.
    The first night sit was enjoyable for me because I got to watch this sow and cub eat and roll around for about 45 mins.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	24849994
    Those were the only 2 to hit the bait that night but it was fun for my first sit. My buddy didn't see anything because the young guide put him on a brand new bait and had no idea if any bears had hit it or not. The next afternoon I got to enjoy some Amazing Grace played by our cook on the bagpipes...

Name:	007.JPG
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	24849995
    The 2nd day was non eventful for both of us as neither had a bear come in. Then on the 3rd day the action began...
    The other, more veteran guide, asked me if I'd like to sit in a ground blind on one of his rifle baits. He said there was a small blonde, a black and a large chocolate that have been frequenting that site. I told him that would be awesome so we headed out to get set up. I built the blind 20 yds from the bait while he prepared it with syrup, bread, pastries and the ever important Twinkies. He left me around 11:15 am for an all day sit. At around 3:15 the little blonde sow showed up. She ate for a while and then decided to come sniff around my blind. She got to within 7 ft of me before I stomped my foot to run her off. After doing that a second time she left me alone, ate a little more and then took off in no hurry. It was an amazing encounter...only feet away from a bear with nothing but pine branches between us.

Name:	012.JPG
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	24849996
    After a few naps while laying on my back hidden in the brush, the magic hour was upon me. At about 7:15 I noticed a large bear coming through the trees on the other side of the bait. He stopped and turned to face my direction and my heart rate immediately accellerated to about 250! This was an absolute bruiser. I slowly reached for my bow and began to position myself for a shot after he turned his head and began to walk in. Then for no reason at all, he turned around and slowly walked away. I was bummed but I knew now what a trophy bear really was and decided not to settle for anything less.
    After contemplating my blind improvements for the next day's sit, and giving up on the giant's return I began preparing to call it a night. By this time it is 8:15 and there really was only about 10 to 15 mins left of shooting light. Then, out of no where, and in a completely opposite direction, I noticed some movement over my left shoulder. I slowly turned and this monster bear was walking down the road not 15 ft from where I was sitting! Talk about a rush of adrenalin!!...the little blonde sow was one thing, but this was the real deal and he was getting closer. I was frozen. After stopping and sniffing my area (10 ft in front of me) he headed toward the bait. I grabbed my bow and positioned myself for a shot. He stood broadside and looked in my direction before bending his head down to sniff the bait. I drew back my bow and waited for that perfect, slightly quartering away shot. As soon as he looked away I let it fly. The nockturnal showed me it was a perfect hit and he tore out of there right toward me, then veered off and disappeared into the trees. I sat there, still and quiet, anticipating the notorious death moan. I heared a faint sound and wasn't sure if it was the bear or not. Sounded like a moan but not distinct like the ones I've heared on tv. I decided to stand up and stretch my legs only to find out I could barely stand because my legs were shaking so bad! I just laid down on my backpack and waited for the guide to show up.
    After about 45 mins he came riding up the trail and saw the nockturnal laying on the ground and the high fives started. It was dark and starting to rain so we followed some blood for about 50 yrds then the trail dissappeared. We decided to back out and look in the morning in the daylight. Needless to say, that was a very long night for me but Miller Lite helped my through it...
    Now I know this story has gotten long enough so here it is.

After a 5 min search we locate the bruiser. Everything I ever wanted in a black bear and to kill it with a bow was amazing. What an experience. To date, it was the best day of hunting I have ever had. Enjoy the pics...

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	24849998

Name:	016.JPG
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	24849997
    and here is me and the guide with the "HI MOM" pose

Name:	025.JPG
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	24849999

by the way...things didn't go so well for my buddy. of all his sits he only saw one bear, which was a nice blonde boar and definately a shooter. with about 30 mins of shooting light left on day 3, the bear began wandering in to his bait. when he was only 50 yds out the bear looks up, alert, and then slowly trots away. As soon as the bear turned my buddy heard the 4 wheeler coming down the trail. the guide showed up too soon and scared it off. man he was ****** and I know he doesn't have any good things to say about their operation. At least things worked out well for one of us. I wasn't impressed with the operation either but I got lucky and had the hunt of a lifetime.

Comment

I don't know anything about bears, but that thing is awesome! Congrats!

Korbin

Comment

Great Bear , CONGRATS,

Comment

Congrats on the bear!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

PM sent question

Comment

congrats on the trophy!

great story.

Comment

Great bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

congrats! What are you going to do with the hide? Rug? Full body mount?

I leave in 10 days for my first bear hunt!! Can't wait!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Great bear!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXZiggy View Post
                          congrats! What are you going to do with the hide? Rug? Full body mount?

I leave in 10 days for my first bear hunt!! Can't wait!!!
                          doin a 3/4 mount. standing on a log, mouth closed. good luck on your hunt, it's a blast!

Comment

Congrats, that looks like a big bear!!!

Comment

Sounds intense! Nice bear!

Comment

Working...
                              X