Help, I broke a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, I broke a

Well I have an Allen head that broke off in the screw of my scope mount. Scope is still in the mount and I do not want to damage the scope. How do I go about removing this?

You can try a left handed drill bit to get broken bolts out. You want to drill in the center of the broken screw very carefully. The heat and the left handed turning will usually work for bolts that aren’t torqued or corroded. It that doesn’t work you could always use an easy out or use a cutoff wheel and cut the scope mount off.

Comment

Can you post a pic

Comment

Not a ring expert but I don't recall having a ring cap that was threaded. If the heads broke off it should slide over it with the other screws out. What rings?

Comment

You should be able to remove the rest of the screws and get the cap out of the way at which point you can probably turn broken screw out by hand, if not then with pliers.

Comment

If you're not worried about the ring, drill on through the top of the bolt head with a drill bit that's at least the same diameter as the bolt, or one size up. It should pop at the end of the head and you can remove the ring, and some of the bolt should then be accessible with a pair of pliers to twist out. Same diameter drill bit (as the threaded shaft), and the ring might make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              Can you post a pic
              Here is a pic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd try an eze-out first.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody903 View Post
                  Here is a pic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                  Didn't see that one coming

Just get the drill bits out and buy a new screw and the appropriate torx bits
                  Last edited by TexMax; 01-12-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Looks like it may have rotated a bit in the seat. I’d try a pick. Worst case you can drill a hole and try threading a small bolt into it just a bit. This may let you get enough of a bite to get it loose.

Comment

Maybe with an ice pick or something with a pointy tip, tap the head in an angle the opposite direction you were turning it when it broke just to try and get it out of that bind it got in?

Comment

Allen head won't work in a STAR or Torx head screw

Comment

If you can get a pair of needle nose pliers in there, you may be able to turn the broken part the opposite direction you were turning it originally. Another step would be to use a center punch or chisel and hammer tovtry to tap it loose in the opposite direction you originally turned it. It should pop out pretty easily.

Comment

Looks like an Allen wrench used in a torx screw. Use a pick or even a small brad or nail. Try working it the opposite direction of how you were turning when it broke. If you do get it out, discard the screw and do not reuse it.

Comment

Place a smaller Allen wrench in and carefully super glue it to the bolt, let it dry and twist out the screw slowly

Comment

Working...
                              X