No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much for my hopes of getting out this weekend. (Sarcastic smile inserted here.)

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      So much for my hopes of getting out this weekend. (Sarcastic smile inserted here.)

You have to work TG?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Oh well. It's almost time to start fishing.

Comment

In my stand. Nothing yet. Missed getting to hunt last weekend. Should be a good morning as cool as it is.

Comment

3 times in the past couple weeks where I hunt, we've had a couple vehicles pulling up to the bridge and I guess deciding to see how much noise they van make by spinning their tires and smoking out the place. They come back and do it about every 15 to 30 min. Sure hope it is just teenagers, but still is **** annoying.

Comment

Didn’t see anything yesterday at all and neither did my buddy.

Comment

One more week to get your venison in the freezer. And two more weeks for ducks!

Comment

Haven’t been on here in a couple days. Been seeing animals, just can’t put it all together at once. Few days ago, I tried a new tree I had scouted earlier in the season. Right about last light I hear a doe blow, still not sure what alerted her as I was not moving and she wasn’t downwind of me. She kept at it blowing, then moving around then blowing again. I just stayed still wondering what set her off. About 20 minutes after last light everything seemed calm around me so I decided to pack up and slip out quietly. Sure enough as soon as I started moving there she was again, only this time two others all on different sides of me. They had me surrounded.

With that spot burned I have been hunting a spot I used a couple weeks before. Yesterday I got what I was hoping for, doe walks in with plenty of light left. Watching her ease in I notice another head poke out behind her, the another, and another... end up with 7 hungry ladies chomping down some corn at 20 yards. Got my bow in hand and hook on the release and one of them caught just a slight movement my hand made. Played the waiting game with her for about 45 seconds then she decided to bolt to a nearby tree line with the others following her. About 5 minutes later they all filter back down like nothing happened. Watch for my opportunity for about 5 minutes, then when all of them are facing away or head behind a tree make my draw. About halfway back one pops her head up and catches me out of the corner of her eye. That ended that chance. About 10 minutes after last light had about 20 hogs come in as I am packing up and had just lowered my bow to the ground, perfect timing.

Today, decided to hit the same spot again. Again, plenty of light solo hog shows up. Watched it for about 20 minutes hoping a doe would show since the hog was alone. Starting to get dark, so I line up my shot once it turned broadside. Let the arrow free and as soon as I hit the release I hear a loud crack/pop and see the light on my nock tumbling through the air. Waited until after dark and pack up my gear for the hike out. Went to go pick up my arrow to find the nock by itself with the arrow sitting close to where I was aiming about 10 yards away. Back end of the arrow cracked. Equipment malfunctions this year are driving me nuts.

Comment

Is it just my computer? Or is anybody else having difficulty accessing this sight by ACE?

Comment

The link you posted doesn’t work for me. What is it a link for?

Comment

It's a project report on several rivers in the state. Includes release, intake, rise, + or - from normal, ect. I use it and a few other web-sights to help predict what is happening in the Brazos river basin from the panhandle to the coast. Also has a good bit of the Sabine and Trinity rivers info. Just a hobby of mine.

I remember last year or the year before ACE was restructuring it's web sight. And I couldn't get on it. Home web sight also won't let you pick up individual lake info right now.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-15-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

That might be exactly what I was trying to locate about a month ago. When is the last time it worked for you?

Comment

Last was after Christmas, and before the New Year.

I've got a couple other sights I can use. But they give daily averages. The ACE gives real time info. So I can tell when water is being released. And when it's shut off. Not very true with some of the other sights. But some do give water flow rate in real time if it is a river gage.

Comment

Late seadon success

Monday 1/15 walked in mid day at nearly 70 degrees and walked out in the snow with my first bow harvest. Big healthy mature doe. Got on to deer late this season but it has been great. Trying to figure out how to share an image...

Comment

Working...
                                X