Need advice on possible bow purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on possible bow purchase

Ok, I'm thinking about taking the off-season to try out the traditional game. I was leaning towards a recurve because I had heard they were more forgiving/easier to shoot. Then I read the thread on the difference between a recurve and a longbow. Now I have an opportunity at a used Sarrels Teton. I know that it is a longbow and it may be too heavy for me (mid 50's and I shoot my compound at 63 lbs).

Basically, I was just wanting to know whether I would be best served to just wait until I could make it down to Austin and go by Bob's place in person or if buying a used traditional bow that I have never shot is a wise move. I just don't want to drop the cash on something that I would find out later was a poor move made out of my ignorance in the traditional game.

Help a brother out!

Don't take a chance on any bow that may be to heavy for you, even a Sarrels. Go by Bob's and shoot all of them-it's a hoot. It dosen't cost anything to do that.

Comment

Shoot as many as you can and get the one that feels the best to you. Head down to the metro and several of us will let you shoot all we have.

Comment

If you make it down San Antonio way give me a shout and you can shoot a bunch of bows by a bunch of makers. I will have a gimped up shoulder for a while and someone needs to bend the limbs on these guys..

Comment

As Deb mentioned above, if you overbow yourself, you will probably end up pretty frustrated. Shooting trad bows with no sights and no let-off is all about good form and consistency. Both of those are hard to develop if you are fighting the bow, even a little bit.

Bisch

Comment

The last guy I started into trad gear I loaned my standard get started bow, a 47# @ 28" **** Robertson long bow. He kept it for about 6 months before I told him it was time for a bow of his own. I recommended that we go see Bob so that he could shoot a bunch of bows so that he could find "his" bow. The best you could do would be to do this. And I don't shoot one of Bob's bows either so this is not a sales pitch. His bows are as good as any on the market today but that is not the reason to do it though.

When we got there Bob talked to Joe about what he had been shooting and what level of bow he wanted. He drug out about twenty bows for Joe to try. Several were one model and Joe mentioned that he liked the grip on that model more then the others so Bob put the others up and brought out even more of that model. After shooting several of these bows Joe kept going to the second bow that he had tried. We could see that he shot this one by far the best. It just fit Joe the best even though it was basicly just like the others. Bob and I went back in the shop to shoot the bull and let Joe shoot. A little while later Joe came in and said "This is my bow".

Now just how cool is that. You get to shoot a bunch of bows until you find the perfect bow for you. While Bob is letting you do this he is not getting to work on bows either so this, to me, is just unbelievable. To me this is the only way to buy a bow especially for a new guy to trad.
            Last edited by Draco; 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM.

Comment

this is arvin. well put draco. that is how i did it in 2004.guess bob has not got the big head yet. some class acts never change!

Comment

Well darn! Too late to throw in my 1/2 cents worth. You gotta be quick around here. It's all been said and said well. Best of luck, and welcome to the fun side of archery!

Comment

If you're shooting a compound at 63#, the trad bow in the mid 50# is going to be too heavy to start out with in trad archery in my opinion.

Comment

I have given this warning several times to different folks and it just never seems to do any good. If you go to Bob's leave your checkbook and credit cards at home. I've made that mistake twice and it cost me both times.
                    Of course now I do have me 3 of them fine custom made Sarrels bows and shot the Black Hills II yesterday evening--probably shoot a different one today

Did I mention that my Black Hills II is the smoothest sweetest shootin longbow I ever handled? Once I shot it down at Bob's there was no way I was going home without it. Bob's got a sneaky way of putting something in your hand that you can't live without.

Comment

It's all true. Just go see Bob. I disagree with leaving your money at home. When I tried this someone else bought the bow I wanted right out of my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wing View Post
                        If you're shooting a compound at 63#, the trad bow in the mid 50# is going to be too heavy to start out with in trad archery in my opinion.
                        Ditto!

Bisch

Comment

If you ever get up this way (heck, it's ALMOST the same distance) we have a really great shop up here that will help you out.

Ping me if you swing up this way. . . .it is ski season. . .

Comment

Working...
                          X