No announcement yet.

Stock ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading some stuff on that thread, pond building is overwhelming lol. I believe i have good ground but hell i don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool thread

Comment

Awesome thread! Living vicariously through the GS... keep the pics coming

Comment

Up for some build pics!

Comment

I’m not sure why I can’t upload pictures or videos of my pond in the process that it’s in now but, PM your number and I can send you what I have and more to come.

Comment

Go as deep as you can

Comment

Comment

like your dock - who built it for you?

Comment

Beautiful.. how big if you don’t mind me asking

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      like your dock - who built it for you?
                      Unfortunately a deceased friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
                        Beautiful.. how big if you don’t mind me asking

~ 5 acres

Comment

Just curious but what is the going rate for a 1 ac tank?

Comment

Originally posted by CoachS View Post
                            Just curious but what is the going rate for a 1 ac tank?
                            Lots and lots of variables here. Some of which depend on your soil, variations in your topography, how deep you want it and where the contractor is hauling the dirt he’s digging out. Can the operator just dig it out on an existing slope and use a bunch of the dirt as the dam or does it need to be hauled off? What about an overflow pipe? Also, once excavated, is there enough clay in the basin or does some need to be brought in order for it to be sealed and not leak?

As for the cost....if the tank can be cut from an existing gently sloping hillside, you have some good clay soil and the dirt excavated could be left on site somewhere, I’d estimate you could have a 1 acre tank built for around $10K. Encounter some or several of the obstacles mentioned and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same 1 acre pond cost in excess of $40K.

As already noted in this thread...find you a good contractor that’s reputable in building tanks with experience and will guarantee it NOT to leak. You don’t want just a dirt guy here. There’s a lot more to it that just digging a hole that’s for sure.

Comment

What did some of y’all put in the bottom for structure? I have some huge concrete blocks that I’m going to put in along with some treated poles for artificial trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                                What did some of y’all put in the bottom for structure? I have some huge concrete blocks that I’m going to put in along with some treated poles for artificial trees.

Great topic. Have been thinking about this a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X