Wildlife friendly barbed wire fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
    Your deer will be fine. Not been in the country long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Saw my first cow last week Dush

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSSS View Post
      Saw my first cow last week Dush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ha ha haa

Comment

Go regular height and cheat it up in a few places on the t-posts. They'll find it

Comment

They can get over it, but the problem is you will have some that will get their back legs hung up in the top two strands. I put some thought into this a while back, but not really enough thought into it. We are planning to put up a fence around our place in the near future. I know the biggest problem with barbed wire fences and deer, is when they jump over the fence, if they barely clear. Sometimes one of their rear legs, goes under the top strand. Since the lower part of their rear legs point forward, their leg goes under the top strand and over the second to the top strand and then as they continue forward. Their leg is angled downwards, then twists the top two strands together and acts like a trap.

If the top two strands were far enough apart, this would not happen, but that would have to be close to 2 ft. Most guys are not going to do that. The other idea I had was to tie some thin sheet metal between the top two strands, so their rear hooves can't go between those two strands. That would get expensive. Possibly some type of plastic, might be economical to tie between the top two strands.

Comment

5 wire fence won't slow any game down. I had a neighbor once put slick wire on bottom and top wire so it won't injure deer.

Comment

Along the road I put netting wire instead of 5 strands.

Comment

Working...
                X