Garage Door Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door Mod

I’d like to see about raising my single garage door to accommodate my pickup. I’d like to think I can make the opening as high as the soffit, with what I think is plenty of room for the existing beam.

I need to back my truck in there for actual measurements.

What says the green screen. Is this a project that can be accomplished DIY, vs hiring someone? Tricks.

I’m handy. Wife would say I’m handsy, but hey.

Do not resize the header to make the opening taller. That 2x12 is supporting the weight of the roof.

It would be easier to get a shorter truck.

Comment

Spend way less and get a carport built?

Comment

I had to do same to get my boat in the garage. But I only had to go 2 or 3 inches and didn't have brick to contend with

Comment

It can be done but this is a lot of work. You would have to build a temporary wall to support the roof. This is a load bearing wall. Removing the garage door spring can be tricky. I could go on and on. Hire someone. It may look simple but it isn’t.

Comment

Will the truck fit lengthwise?

I agree with above, it can be done but sounds like you should hire someone.

Comment

sure what could possibly go wrong lololo

Comment

A temp support will be required to support the roof during work. You can raise the 2x12 header but don’t down size it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                  sure what could possibly go wrong lololo

I’m pretty sure, everything at least twice.

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                  Spend way less and get a carport built?

HOA

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                  Will the truck fit lengthwise?

I agree with above, it can be done but sounds like you should hire someone.

3rd bay is extended 12’.

If yall have any contacts in Magnolia area, PM me.

Appreciate all the info.

Comment

Also consider this, if you raise the height of the opening a couple of inches it will require a special made door and that will get pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
                      Also consider this, if you raise the height of the opening a couple of inches it will require a special made door and that will get pricey.

Again I haven’t measured but the plan is to raise it one panel more than is there. Extra track.

Comment

Get with a garage door guy to see what the new taller door will require. Have them remove the old one.
                        The framing won't be that hard. Support the roof. Start sawzalling all the nails out and reuse the beam.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can do this, with some help. (I'm assuming an existing 7' garage door)

-Take the garage door off.
                          -Come back about 4' from the door and brace up every other joist with a 4x4.
                          -Sawsall the beam out to reuse later.
                          -Cut 12" off the cripple studs above the beam.
                          -Replace the jack studs with jack studs that are one foot longer.
                          -Set the recycled beam on the jack studs and fasten back the modified cripple studs to the beam.
                          -Remove the 4x4 braces and store them somewhere where you will forget that you have them.
                          -Install a new 8' tall door.

It's not Rocket Surgery and you're not a complete dumbass....You can do this. You'll need to get exact dimensions for a new garage door, but you get the gist of it. Good luck.

Comment

Looks like a pretty easy frame job. cutting and trimming the brick to look good is the only thing I see sketchy but really quite doable for 2 guys on a saturday
                            Last edited by Death from Above; 05-19-2018, 12:49 PM. Reason: edit....read above post...very doable

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              You can do this, with some help. (I'm assuming an existing 7' garage door)

-Take the garage door off.
                              -Come back about 4' from the door and brace up every other joist with a 4x4.
                              -Sawsall the beam out to reuse later.
                              -Cut 12" off the cripple studs above the beam.
                              -Replace the jack studs with jack studs that are one foot longer.
                              -Set the recycled beam on the jack studs and fasten back the modified cripple studs to the beam.
                              -Remove the 4x4 braces and store them somewhere where you will forget that you have them.
                              -Install a new 8' tall door.

It's not Rocket Surgery and you're not a complete dumbass....You can do this. You'll need to get exact dimensions for a new garage door, but you get the gist of it. Good luck.
                              Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                              Looks like a pretty easy frame job. cutting and trimming the brick to look good is the only thing I see sketchy but really quite doable for 2 guys on a saturday

Yeah, I got nothing for that other than hire a mason to fix the brickwork right. It too will need a header (angle iron) and retrimmed.

Comment

Working...
                              X