Flocks of birds flying north?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flocks of birds flying north?

On our trip back to Texas today, my wife and I saw multiple flocks of birds flying in V formations flying north. We saw this about 15 miles east of Lake Charles (outside temp was 37 degrees) and then again about 20 miles south west of Beaumont(outside temp was about 46 degrees).

In each case there were multiple flocks of birds(about 20 V formations in each spot) and they were all fighting against the stiff north wind. I could not tell if they were ducks or geese, but they all had long necks and dark colored bodies.

I’ve never seen flocks flying north into an arctic blast. What gives?

Just changing pastures they're not going far.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed to eat!

Comment

Sandhill cranes. Saw several flocks in the air and on the ground in the Mathis area today.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Sandhill cranes. Saw several flocks in the air and on the ground in the Mathis area today.

These did not appear to be as large as cranes are, and their necks were also shorter than a cranes neck.

Comment

my guess would be Geese. I don't think they are going back home but rather pasture/field jumping. Not a goose expert though..

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              exactly

they just got finished eating farmer Boudreaux's rice fields to stubble, and are now moving North to his cousin Thibodeaux's rice field

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 12-31-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I'd guess water turkeys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cormorants. Fly in vee's, black. Wings aren't as far back as ducks.

Comment

X2

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                      On our trip back to Texas today, my wife and I saw multiple flocks of birds flying in V formations flying north. We saw this about 15 miles east of Lake Charles (outside temp was 37 degrees) and then again about 20 miles south west of Beaumont(outside temp was about 46 degrees).

In each case there were multiple flocks of birds(about 20 V formations in each spot) and they were all fighting against the stiff north wind. I could not tell if they were ducks or geese, but they all had long necks and dark colored bodies.

I’ve never seen flocks flying north into an arctic blast. What gives?
                      You know why one side of vthat "V" is always longer than the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        more geese on that side

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Same reason one of my girlfriend's legs is longer than the other?

Comment

They fly to the coast then eat their way north..........

Comment

this

Comment

Working...
                              X