Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck this morning gents. Misting rain here.

Comment

Not going because of moisture. Do have a question though. I know in areas with higher deer densities, people feed all day. Thinking about adding a 10am and 2pm feed time. Any thoughts on this in the panhandle?

Comment

Holy crap!! Just stuck my first deer and it's a big Muley buck!! Came in right at sunrise. First a really nice prob 4.5 year old came straight into feeder pen, which I was a little shocked bc the muleys havnt come in the pens much. He was nice but decided to let him go. Was def hard decision bc I've never harvested with my bow in 3 years of bow hunting. Then three mins later I see big boy pop out. Was just praying he came in bc this stand doesn't have great shooting lanes. Too grown up trees around me. He took a while but jumped in and started feeding. He got behind feeder so I drew for what felt like 20 mins. Prob 3 min hike and he finally stepped out. Tried to calm the heart rate, which didn't really happen, then settled in and let it fly. He was barely quartered towards me but not much. More broad than anything. Heard the glorious thud and he jumped and my arrow then went straight in the air. He walked slowly and wobbly away stopping often and looked like he was gonna go down. Never saw or heard him drop but feel good about the shot. Just got down and def got him. Dark blood and arrow smells like deer for sure!! Gonna let him sit for a few hours then start the recovery!!

Wow! That was an experience of a lifetime for sure. So pumped. I'll check back after I recover him. Wow!! 2027-2018 Archery Season. One I'll never forget!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tdhadley10 View Post
          Holy crap!! Just stuck my first deer and it's a big Muley buck!! Came in right at sunrise. First a really nice prob 4.5 year old came straight into feeder pen, which I was a little shocked bc the muleys havnt come in the pens much. He was nice but decided to let him go. Was def hard decision bc I've never harvested with my bow in 3 years of bow hunting. Then three mins later I see big boy pop out. Was just praying he came in bc this stand doesn't have great shooting lanes. Too grown up trees around me. He took a while but jumped in and started feeding. He got behind feeder so I drew for what felt like 20 mins. Prob 3 min hike and he finally stepped out. Tried to calm the heart rate, which didn't really happen, then settled in and let it fly. He was barely quartered towards me but not much. More broad than anything. Heard the glorious thud and he jumped and my arrow then went straight in the air. He walked slowly and wobbly away stopping often and looked like he was gonna go down. Never saw or heard him drop but feel good about the shot. Just got down and def got him. Dark blood and arrow smells like deer for sure!! Gonna let him sit for a few hours then start the recovery!!

Wow! That was an experience of a lifetime for sure. So pumped. I'll check back after I recover him. Wow!! 2027-2018 Archery Season. One I'll never forget!!!

Anyone know a tracker with dogs in Childress area?

Comment

Anyone know a tracker with dogs in Childress area?

Jeff Bonner: (806)-662-3357

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Me. I'm in Pampa with dog.

Give him at least 6 hours. I prefer to wait 12 hr, but you'll want to start where you'll have plenty of daylight. You should be OK if you don't bump him. A deer walking off slow is usually hit back, dark blood is usually liver. Depends, but most will go between 200 yds - 600 yds. Just be patient. And go slow.

If you run into trouble, or want to talk about it, just call me. My phone number is on my website. Let me know how you're doing before 3:00 today.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                Me. I'm in Pampa with dog.

Give him at least 6 hours. I prefer to wait 12 hr, but you'll want to start where you'll have plenty of daylight. You should be OK if you don't bump him. A deer walking off slow is usually hit back, dark blood is usually liver. Depends, but most will go between 200 yds - 600 yds. Just be patient. And go slow.

If you run into trouble, or want to talk about it, just call me. My phone number is on my website. Let me know how you're doing before 3:00 today.

www.topoftexastracking.com

Thanks Jeff

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

Any news?

Comment

Any news?

No deer. Tracked him for about 50 yards and then blood went cold. Backed out so we wouldn't disturb evening hint and will look again this afternoon. Must not have been as good shot as I felt like I made. Pretty bummed right now. Hoping I stumble upon him or get another chance. I'm pretty sick.

Comment

No deer. Tracked him for about 50 yards and then blood went cold. Backed out so we wouldn't disturb evening hint and will look again this afternoon. Must not have been as good shot as I felt like I made. Pretty bummed right now. Hoping I stumble upon him or get another chance. I'm pretty sick.

Give me a call. If you want to hire me to bring my dog don't stomp up the scent by doing a grid search.

Comment

Give me a call. If you want to hire me to bring my dog don't stomp up the scent by doing a grid search.

Promise you wont be dissapointed if you call Jeff, if the deers dead id put money on it that he will find it.

Comment

Sounds like a liver shot. He should be dead. Call a dog.

Comment

No idea what will come in, havent checked the cam in awhile but there is ALOT of good sign!

Comment

Jeff I appreciate it sir. Really do. I'm down in cottle county so a ways from you. Got a local dog in and tracked further than we did but lost it about 200 yards from shot. Never found anymore blood after about 50 yards. So bummed and sick I either wounded it or killed and count recover.

Jeff, did you by chance help search for s double drop whitetail for Coke Howard a few years ago? Didn't find and then Cole got him during rifle season later that year.

Comment

Jeff I appreciate it sir. Really do. I'm down in cottle county so a ways from you. Got a local dog in and tracked further than we did but lost it about 200 yards from shot. Never found anymore blood after about 50 yards. So bummed and sick I either wounded it or killed and count recover.

Jeff, did you by chance help search for s double drop whitetail for Coke Howard a few years ago? Didn't find and then Cole got him during rifle season later that year.

Local dog? Yer killin' me!

Don't recall that one buck in particular but have had a several of the "survivors" get killed later in season.

Comment

Working...
                                X