Another Snake ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
    Well i learned something new today. I have seen a lot of snakes but never one like this. Guess that shows how rare they are. My apologies guys/gals. Hard to let snakes go with kids that are so curious.
    mistakes happen and I would have probably done the same thing if that thing was around my daughter. I too need to be better educated about snakes. I'm just scared to death of them to be honest. just be glad that it was in a protected species or else you'd really be getting it.

I know a guy on here that learned a lesson that buzzards are protected species. he sure was glad that all he did was relocate them out of his box blind into a better and happier place.

Comment

So a question for the people that are "educating" this guy. What if this snake would have slithered on over and bit his kid. Would you all be so quick to just relocate it? I don't agree with killing every snake but sometimes they get cut up.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones
        What a great lesson for the young un's. If daddy is in fear we should always destroy.

bingo.

what an awesome opportunity you had to teach your kids.

I never understood the "not around my kids" answer.... thats the best time.

Comment

I agree with the OP and I would rather be safe than sorry, ESPECIALLY with my kiddos..

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
            bingo.

Because someone dosnt have the level of knowledge of snakes dosnt make him less of a outdoorsman.

I think it's ridiculous how people get down on people for killing snakes. It's silly. It was a reaction I bet from a guy who wanted to protect his kids. He made a mistake.

Now teach him so he can teach his kiddos. I bet y'all wernt born with your knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
              bingo.

I think what people are failing to see here is that IF the OP didn't know what kind of snake it was, how was he going to educate the children? There are many snakes that look like and even pretend to be other snakes. I'm a believer that if you aren't 100% positive what kind of snake it is, you don't go near it. If kids are around, ALWAYS better safe than sorry. In hind sight, yes, should have let it go, but hind sight is always 20/20. Let's not beat the guy up. He is now educated and most likely won't kill one of those if he sees another one. But he only "missed" an opportunity to educated his kids if he already had that education to give.

Comment

That may be my favorite kind of snake! Had a few as pets growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  Because someone dosnt have the level of knowledge of snakes dosnt make him less of a outdoorsman.

I think it's ridiculous how people get down on people for killing snakes. It's silly. It was a reaction I bet from a guy who wanted to protect his kids. He made a mistake.

Now teach him so he can teach his kiddos. I bet y'all wernt born with your knowledge.
                  I get that, but I also get those who are a little frustrated when someone posts a picture of one of the most beneficial and harmless snakes around asking for an ID after it's already dead. Not to beat up on the OP, but I have never seen a place full of people who love the outdoors with so many snake ID threads. What did you guys do as kids? I was out creek stompin' and snake hunting.

Comment

Worse whipping I ever got was in 6th grade in ag class caught that very same snake and throw it on a group of girls. Man that ag teacher was mad. Yeah don't see them any more guess because people kill them. Only kill five snakes copper head, moc, rattler, coral and banded king snake that looks like coral but I never seen a king snake that looks like coral in the wild.

Comment

Its all good. Rough crowed here on the green screen but still the best forum. Everybody has there opinion and as for me and my kids, they are by far more important than any snake. I will always know what this snake is from here on out and as long as neither of my kids are in harms way than they can come and go as they please. This guy just wondered into there play area a little too close and seemed very curious of everything goin on. Im lucky i saw him before my boy. He would have walked right over to him and tried picking it . I havnt had a snake in our pasture for 4 yrs and this dude is probly why. I will be on the lookout now for every other snake and hope i have plenty more of these rare snakes around.

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                        I get that, but I also get those who are a little frustrated when someone posts a picture of one of the most beneficial and harmless snakes around asking for an ID after it's already dead. Not to beat up on the OP, but I have never seen a place full of people who love the outdoors with so many snake ID threads. What did you guys do as kids? I was out creek stompin' and snake hunting.
                        That's awesome and wish everyone grew up like that. I grew up in a different state and had different snakes. I grew up outdoors but my kids are growing up in the city. I take them out as much as I can, but I don't come across snakes very often (thank goodness cause I don't like them ). Therefore my kids can grow up loving the outdoors, but not having the same experiences and outdoor education as you. If you learned your love for the outdoors as an adult, you are less likely to know all the reptiles, bugs and serpents as someone who grew up with it. Doesn't mean you love the outdoors any less, simply means you may be less experienced.

Comment

we seem to have gotten off track lets get back on hugging some snakes

Comment

Originally posted by ted_kennedys_liver View Post
                            we seem to have gotten off track lets get back on hugging some snakes
                            Keep your hands on your own snake

Comment

I grew up outdoors and living in the country. Been around many snakes and have even caught copperheads when i was little. My poor parents! This just happened to be one i have never seen before. I love how people judge somebody without ever even knowing the individual. I lived in central and west tx growing up and moved to east tx 4 yrs ago. As a kid i ran around chasing anything that moved in the woods. Good or bad. Its a miracle im still alive today. Its totaly different country out here than what im used too. Eye just kneed a littl moor edumication!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                                I grew up outdoors and living in the country. Been around many snakes and have even caught copperheads when i was little. My poor parents! This just happened to be one i have never seen before. I love how people judge somebody without ever even knowing the individual. I lived in central and west tx growing up and moved to east tx 4 yrs ago. As a kid i ran around chasing anything that moved in the woods. Good or bad. Its a miracle im still alive today. Its totaly different country out here than what im used too. Eye just kneed a littl moor edumication!
                                If youve never been judged by the GS youve never lived!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X