DIY Pergola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Pergola

When we bought our house in August of 2013, there was a want to be deck in the back yard that was not very well built that had to go. My wife wanted a pergola so I started researching them to figure out what would work best. It took me about a month to build with all the rain we were getting, but I finally finished my part this week. I will let the pictures tell the story of what I have so far. My concrete guy will be out in the next two weeks weather permitting to pouring my slab. The slab will be 20' X 26'. If you have any questions please let me know. I hope you enjoy what I have so far. It was not easy hanging 2x12x20 by your self! It was all built out of western red cedar.

Looks great!!!!!!

Comment

Real nice job, looks great!

I do have one question though, and the answer may just simply be, personal preference. I've never understood pergolas. I'd think if someone was going to spend the time and money to put up such a nice feature, why you wouldn't just put a completely covered roof on it so you can enjoy even when it's raining, and help protect outdoor furniture? I know with a full covered roof, it wouldn't be a "pergola", but I'm just curious if there is any other reason why one would build one, other than just personal preference.

I'm not putting pergolas down, I think they're nice, and you did a fine job.

Comment

Wife been watching HGTV?!

Very nice job on it by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post

I do have one question though, and the answer may just simply be, personal preference. I've never understood pergolas. I'd think if someone was going to spend the time and money to put up such a nice feature, why you wouldn't just put a completely covered roof on it so you can enjoy even when it's raining, and help protect outdoor furniture? I know with a full covered roof, it wouldn't be a "pergola", but I'm just curious if there is any other reason why one would build one, other than just personal preference.

Nice build! BtechD - the house I bought had one and I put that corregated plastic sheeting on top of mine to keep the water out... It isn't watertight but is dry for the most part. I then put in a high pressure misting system around the perimeter of it and it stays a few degrees cooler "inside" it. Outdoor kitchen to be built under it this summer...

Comment

Originally posted by Grimas View Post
            Nice build! BtechD - the house I bought had one and I put that corregated plastic sheeting on top of mine to keep the water out... It isn't watertight but is dry for the most part. I then put in a high pressure misting system around the perimeter of it and it stays a few degrees cooler "inside" it. Outdoor kitchen to be built under it this summer...

Ah, that would be a nice touch!

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post

My wife has been yelling for one for a few years now and I keep resisting getting it done for this very reason. If I'm going to spend the time and money to build it, it dang well WILL be covered. Like you said, OP did a fantastic job.

Originally posted by Grimas View Post
              This is about the only way I would do it. Gotta have some type of cover over it.

Comment

Personally I love pergola's and think you did an awesome job on this one. I like the partial sun it allows. I love the look of vegetation growing on them too! You have a covered porch which is more than enough space for raining days.

Great job!

Comment

I like them and so does the wife. It looks good.

Im like the others though, would rather have it fully covered.

Comment

BtechD, you did too well. Wife looking over my shoulder as I sit here on my butt and now asking when I am going to start "hers".

Comment

Great job!!

Comment

well done!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Great job... Im hoping to follow suit soon.

Comment

My wife is wanting me to build one about that size. I would like to know how much you have invested in materials if you don't mind sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X